Variable Geometry Turbo for the IDI.

94IDIT

Reaction score
I like that setup as well, not sure how that cylinder is going to like the heat of being connected to drive pressure.

cookoo Good point... Hmmm, it's anyone's guess I suppose. But that cylinder doesn't quite look like it'd be up to the task. If it was, this would be one of the better DIY VGT setups I've seen though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That's why the serums I have seen have a couple feet of extra brass tubing, which effectively cools the exhaust gases.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another setup I read about at Competition Diesel was a duel actuated setup. It used both boost and drive pressure to balance the vane angles which effectively kept the turbo in equilibrium and prevented the turbo from being over driven. It seemed like a really good idea but is a bit more complicated. Also he used an actuator to prevent the vanes from closing all the way and when he flipped a switch the turbo vanes closed and activated the exhaust brake. Pretty neat setup.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Another setup I read about at Competition Diesel was a duel actuated setup. It used both boost and drive pressure to balance the vane angles which effectively kept the turbo in equilibrium and prevented the turbo from being over driven. It seemed like a really good idea but is a bit more complicated. Also he used an actuator to prevent the vanes from closing all the way and when he flipped a switch the turbo vanes closed and activated the exhaust brake. Pretty neat setup.

thats the second link posted in this thread

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the fleece controller can handle two turbos at once from what I've read:sly

Good luck getting one from fleece. I had an he351ve I was going to put on my truck, but I could never get a controller from them. Turbo is sold now.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats the second link posted in this thread

Ya I should have said that my bad. I just wanted to talk about that setup. It seems like the ideal way to do it. You have the most control with that setup. What would be a good mechanical means to keep the vanes open all the time except when when you need an exhaust brake? Or what would be a good way to totally keep it from going that small? They mentioned using a collar on that site but I can't picture it in my head.

Last edited:

94IDIT

Reaction score

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anytime :sly

looks like there is some easy ways of doing it as posted above, but if you want to use it for an engine brake too it needs a computer made up. Plus the valve train needs upgraded...

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? That sucks...

The controller is only 400.00, and a few guys have them, but they are a pretty small outfit and they got swamped with work. You can get the turbos on ebay for 200.00, so for 600 dollars for a vgt turbo is a screamin deal.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be worth the wait if someone could eventually get ahold of them. It just mike take some time I guess.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
What turbos are you gonna use in your setup?

I have a brand new garret t70 and a used garret off a thunderbird...t60 I think ... ill be honest I don't know enough about turbos yet that's one of the reasons I haven't went ahead with it but the thunderbird one was free and the t70 I couldnt pass the deal

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Im sitting here in my work truck 2011 f550 6.7 psd thinking ... wonder if they would notice a missing turbo .... then I thought what about twin vgts... now that's a nasty thought

Last edited:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new garret t70 and a used garret off a thunderbird...t60 I think ... ill be honest I don't know enough about turbos yet that's one of the reasons I haven't went ahead with it but the thunderbird one was free and the t70 I couldnt pass the deal

What are the dimensions on both of your turbos?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online