Variable Geometry Turbo for the IDI.

94IDIT

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about how sweet it would be to put a HE351VE or a 6.0 turbo on an IDI. Even if we weren't making crazy high HP numbers, the ability to get boost that fast would make any IDI truck perform quite a bit better in all situations and even improve MPG. I know that there are electronic controllers made for these things but I doubt they would be cheap:rolleyes: So I started searching around and I came across these related threads:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...s-discussion/106544-he351ve-vgt-12-valve.html

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48297

This guy is using a homemade pneumatic actuator for the HE, and there are others on Compd using similar setups.
I'm wondering, how hard would one of these homemade actuators be to make? I know that if someone acutally did this they'd have to fab up most everything themselves but that wouldn't be too bad. Also, which on of these turbos would be the most efficient for an IDI with supporting modifications boosting into the mid 20's? I love the 6.0 whistle, but HE's seem to be available for allot less money. Could one of these be a good match for our engines? I'm sorry, but I don't know much about compressor maps and such. Discuss at length, and thanks for any info!;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That's exactly what I woukd do. Actuator based on backpressure mainly, but boost would limit top end boost (reach the boost you want and it would open up all the way).

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Only problem is that even with the exhaust housing opened up all the way, I think we still will be gaining boost. External wastegate should also be used. That or keep the rpms down.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Only problem is that even with the exhaust housing opened up all the way, I think we still will be gaining boost. External wastegate should also be used. That or keep the rpms down.

Yeah, that would probably be a good idea. It'd be a nice safeguard that's for sure.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Fer sure man. Yeah the reason I've brought this up is because it's something that I may consider doing in the future, and I just wanted to see what the rest of the brotherhood thought of it. I'm not trying to benchrace mind you, just get some feedback.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
it is a great idea plus doing the vane accuation by boost and back pressure eliminates the expensive computer and keeps the system still electronically basic plus you can wire in a manual exhaust brake as well the cost of the turbo is high and i assume to rebuild it could be expensive as well but id say it would do wonders for any engine its bolted to

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
and i assume to rebuild it could be expensive as well but id say it would do wonders for any engine its bolted to

From what I understand the 6.0 turbos cannot be rebuilt- you just have to buy a new one. They map quite well to an IDI. I have an accomplished EE friend that is interested in building a boost based controller for this application. He already builds and sells some pretty cool boost controllers to the ricer crowd. Admittedly he is interested in using this turbo on a Honda motor...:rolleyes:

I just need to buy one and get a test-bed vehicle set up so he can work his magic.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
wow thats nice blow it up buy a new one ..... maybe some day i might try something like this but i already have a compound setup in my garage waiting on me sooo ill try that first

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
many were using wastegate to control the vanes, seen it on a few 5.9 cummins on youtube for example.

there were some adapters made by a company - a little searching should bring it up...

I was following a thread where one guy was making his own with some servos, hobbs switches, etc but I don't think he ever finished the project fully...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the 6.0 turbos cannot be rebuilt- you just have to buy a new one. They map quite well to an IDI. I have an accomplished EE friend that is interested in building a boost based controller for this application. He already builds and sells some pretty cool boost controllers to the ricer crowd. Admittedly he is interested in using this turbo on a Honda motor...:rolleyes:

I just need to buy one and get a test-bed vehicle set up so he can work his magic.

A test vehicle like a 1986 F-350 CC dually with a 6.9L. :D You could try it on your truck and it would be one cool idi! ;Really

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow thats nice blow it up buy a new one ..... maybe some day i might try something like this but i already have a compound setup in my garage waiting on me sooo ill try that first

What turbos are you gonna use in your setup?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know who says they can't be rebuilt. My local shop has done 8 of them for me so far.