Variable Geometry Turbo for the IDI.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I don't know who says they can't be rebuilt. My local shop has done 8 of them for me so far.

You may be right, but a Garrett rep told me that the parts for the vanes are not available seperately- if they wear out (which the pins do) its new turbo time.

Maybe the rebuild kits are aftermarket? :dunno

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be right, but a Garrett rep told me that the parts for the vanes are not available seperately- if they wear out (which the pins do) its new turbo time.

Maybe the rebuild kits are aftermarket? :dunno

You can buy rebuilt units through ford though I don't know what all they replace. THat said the last one I put on didn't last 500 miles before the shaft seal went out and it started pumping oil out the exhaust. -cuss

Ford reman quality has been really questionable lately.

94IDIT

Reaction score
it is a great idea plus doing the vane accuation by boost and back pressure eliminates the expensive computer and keeps the system still electronically basic plus you can wire in a manual exhaust brake as well the cost of the turbo is high and i assume to rebuild it could be expensive as well but id say it would do wonders for any engine its bolted to

Exactly, I wouldn't really want any type of electronic control on my engine anyhow. But I think it would be sweet to do this. Oh, and I thought I read on here that IDI's couldn't handle exhaust brakes?:dunno If the can, then that would just be *******':sly

From what I understand the 6.0 turbos cannot be rebuilt- you just have to buy a new one. They map quite well to an IDI. I have an accomplished EE friend that is interested in building a boost based controller for this application. He already builds and sells some pretty cool boost controllers to the ricer crowd. Admittedly he is interested in using this turbo on a Honda motor...:rolleyes:

I just need to buy one and get a test-bed vehicle set up so he can work his magic.

That would be sweet if he got that done;Sweet It'd be a waste to put one of these turbos on a ricer though:puke: lol.

many were using wastegate to control the vanes, seen it on a few 5.9 cummins on youtube for example.

there were some adapters made by a company - a little searching should bring it up...

I was following a thread where one guy was making his own with some servos, hobbs switches, etc but I don't think he ever finished the project fully...

Got any links for some of this stuff? I've been searching some, but haven't come up with a whole lot yet.

I know Garrett sells boost actuated VGTs......

Really? Awesome! I knew Holset did, but I didn't know that Garrett did as well. Wonder if any of them would be good in an IDI application?:dunno I'll have to look into that.

You can buy rebuilt units through ford though I don't know what all they replace. THat said the last one I put on didn't last 500 miles before the shaft seal went out and it started pumping oil out the exhaust. -cuss

Ford reman quality has been really questionable lately.

Word! 6.0 turbos in general seem WAY overpriced compared to the HE351VE. I think that if I did something like this that the Holset would be the way to go. Plus I hear they have pretty much the same rebuild kit as an HX35. I'd almost rather do the 6.0 one however, just to hear that epic rocketship taking off sound, from an old 80's fordLOL The looks you'd get from people would be priceless.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would stay away from electronics also, although if someone around here was an electronic engineer, they could probably rig up a system that worked really well.

Running the VGT off boost only will cause problems. Think low rpm's. You stand on it at 1000rpms and it will have the smallest housing size to get the boost to go up. That will cause excessive backpressure and EGT's. Running it mainly off backpressure will result in good VGT movement compared to RPM and load, which will help with backpressure and EGT's.

94IDIT

Reaction score
I would stay away from electronics also, although if someone around here was an electronic engineer, they could probably rig up a system that worked really well.

Running the VGT off boost only will cause problems. Think low rpm's. You stand on it at 1000rpms and it will have the smallest housing size to get the boost to go up. That will cause excessive backpressure and EGT's. Running it mainly off backpressure will result in good VGT movement compared to RPM and load, which will help with backpressure and EGT's.

I agree. Good call there. That would kind of defeat the point of doing this really, one of the main reasons I'd like to do this is to get some extra down low grunt to get a load moving... Or ya know... to beat a D-max or a Cummins off the line at stop light:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao, Had to say that:D

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
My EE friend and I had a little bit of a debate about that- I agree with the backpressure thing, but he tended to think that boost and rpm were all that was necessary to get it all dialed in and keep it simple. ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Maybe if your restricted the VGT so it couldnt go all the way to the smallest setting. Then you could be taching 2000rpms and hit the throttle with an exhaust housing half the size of what would be considered "small." It would spool like no tommorow though!

Or think of when you downshift and your 3000+rpms, once again you would have the small exhaust housing causing that extremly high backpressure.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
His argument was that the vanes controlled by boost would act as a natural wastegate- Say you were hitting 18 psi and the controller was modulating it as you cruised down the highway- now stab the throttle and the backpressure goes up, but so does tha boost which then opens the vanes further to relieve boost and thus backpressure.

All theory that needs to be tried to see how it really plays out. He does have more time on the dyno and in tuning turbos than anyone I know of. His boost controllers limit based on what gear the car is in to prevent wheel-spin and maximize traction, so in 1st gear it may only boost 4-5 psi, then second it modulates up and etc... It works very well for the ricer guys.

Good discussion. :thumbsup:

94IDIT

Reaction score
That Fleece controller was pretty cool acutally. On the that vid, in the description, they said that they make controllers for Garretts, Holsets, and Borg Warnes but when I went to their website all i could find was this one:
http://www.fleeceperformance.com/product/13b3086f-b861-4894-90ad-21195db00113.aspx

Not too bad of a price a guess:rolleyes: but it says it's only for 98.5 through '05 cummins:dunno and must be hooked up to the 3 pin datalink... Whatever that meansLOL

While scanning other vids I saw one of their controllers hooked to a HE on a 12 valve, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-WBVXwcwls and in that vid's description it says that it's wired to the auto's TPS, a boost sensor, and the factory tach.... Well, I've got a manual and I doubt that they'd ever make a controller compatable with an IDI so that means that these things wouldn't even be an option for our engines right???:dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno but sure sounds to me like this may be a kewl way of making low end grunt for rocks n tough diggin ... with some good ole, wheels in the mud...spinning like made top end for some boggin for me Bronco...hmmm....Mo Money say me....aye says the Kap't! Prepare for warp speed says the Kap't aye says me...I need MO MONEY sir!

94IDIT

Reaction score
Dunno but sure sounds to me like this may be a kewl way of making low end grunt for rocks n tough diggin ... with some good ole, wheels in the mud...spinning like made top end for some boggin for me Bronco...hmmm....Mo Money say me....aye says the Kap't! Prepare for warp speed says the Kap't aye says me...I need MO MONEY sir!

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao and here I am thinking about towingLOL, but yeah that would be one helluva sweet trail rig with a VGT setup!

Last edited:

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I like that setup as well, not sure how that cylinder is going to like the heat of being connected to drive pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online