Vacuum do-dad

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Swapping to hydroboost brakes finally so I'm currently plugging that line on my vacuum block (planning on electric vac pump eventually just for HVAC).

There is a little device that is in the vacuum circuit that has a small canister and 3 wires going to it. What is it? And what does it do?

Attachments

• IMG_5144.JPG
    IMG_5144.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5143.JPG
    IMG_5143.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 30

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's your vacuum switch that turns on the brake light when you don't have vacuum.

jhenegh

Reaction score
I guess hydroboost makes that a bit obsolete, huh? Suppose I'll keep it or find a way to wire around it

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or just remove the bulb.....
As anyone who drives one of these trucks SHOULD know, that bulb is also what goes on when the hydraulic brakes FAIL. That's why it's RED. Removing the bulb could KILL someone. The OP could simply disconnect the switch and still have a light that will tell him when it's dangerous to drive the truck.

jhenegh

Reaction score
As anyone who drives one of these trucks SHOULD know, that bulb is also what goes on when the hydraulic brakes FAIL. That's why it's RED. Removing the bulb could KILL someone. The OP could simply disconnect the switch and still have a light that will tell him when it's dangerous to drive the truck.

I'm gonna need more explaining on this, because I'm not following:dunno. How would a vacuum sensor relate to a hydroboost hydraulic brake system? All the vacuum on this truck will do anymore is HVAC.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
the only thing that warning light is hooked up to besides the vac switch is the brake fluid level

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with @madpogue on this one. If anyone that is switching to hydroboost and wants to disable the "Vacuum do-dad" from turning on the warning light that is one thing.

But removing the bulb from the RED BRAKE light in the dash is something I would not recommend doing. Most Fords (all vehicles I believe) this RED BRAKE light serves 2 purposes.

One - Not as important, but indicates the parking brake is "on"...

Two - Which is DEATHLY IMPORTANT, it indicated a failure in the HYDRAULIC system (which both vacuum and hydroboost systems use) of the brakes. If you have a line/cylinder/caliper failure and have a loss of HYDRAULIC PRESSURE in the braking system, (like having brake line rust and pump out all the fluid on the ground) this RED light, lights indicating a problem. I know this is how IDI Era trucks and vans were set up, and even the post IDI era vehicles (had a 98 Sable Wagon rust through/blow a brake line) and the RED light illuminated......

That red light is a SAFETY thing, which is why it's RED..... notice the RABS, or on the newer vehicles the ((ABS)) light is yellow..... it is an indication this system is not working correctly, but it does not affect the function of the complete system. (If the ABS light is on, the brakes still work properly, you can just lock the wheels up). The BRAKE light is RED because it's indicating the BRAKES ARE NOT WORKING PROPERLY or AT ALL!!!!!! I think Ford also added the vacuum pressure switch into the RED BRAKE light is because, if you loose vacuum, you brakes do not "work properly", or more in this case, "as expected". If you go to use the brakes and you are expecting a "normal effort" to be used, and you find, you have to put both feet on the brake pedal and brace your shoulders on the seat to get the truck to stop.... having that red light on as an "oh by the way" is a nice feature......

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Ford came up with the indication for a hydraulic failure but not a similar annunciation for a vacuum failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin