Vacuum pump gone bad?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh we eat a lot of Garlic. Wife uses it in everything.
She has a food dehidrater and finely chops it up in one of her fancy machines, maybe her new Vita Mixer, that new state of the art one.
After dried, turns it into powder and vac. seals it in plastic bags.

Chopped Garlic in hot butter and spread on sour French Bread. making my self hungry.

Stay away from the China Garlic, even if it is cheaper. Buy U.S.A grown Garlic. We were spoiled living in Santa Cruz, as Gilroy, Ca. is the Garlic capital of the world.

Goat

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate that, it’s the daughter that I cannot separate the “must taste good” vs “tastes bad but is good for my health”.

Will grab Elderberry today and check on garlic

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
So the Vac. Pump is really a suction Pump, best way to describe it....and the whole system needs to be tight.

The next best thing is to do the Hydroboost set up.
How can a person ck for vac leaks? It's suction, not pressure so soapy water don't work.
I have a vac gauge under the hood & usually I run 25-30 in of vac but shut down & in bout 4 min it's down to zero.

Recently installed new NAPA vac pump (serpentine belt) & other day was pulling my BH Loader & GN. Coming down curvy hill gearing down & Ex-Brake to stopsign, last minute used foot brake & all hard peddle!!!! Turns out the new vac pump had come apart, not come off but come apart!!!

Few yr ago I plugged the vac line to that round thingie over on the fender well & threw away it to trashcan so I don't have a brake lite. Moved the big tomato juice can from under hood to down on frame to make more room.

And I want to do the Hydroboost......down the road...... soon as I GET MY SHOP FINISHED!!!! Grrrrrrrr growllll Got to git-r-did!!!

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P
How can a person ck for vac leaks? It's suction, not pressure so soapy water don't work.
I have a vac gauge under the hood & usually I run 25-30 in of vac but shut down & in bout 4 min it's down to zero.

Recently installed new NAPA vac pump (serpentine belt) & other day was pulling my BH Loader & GN. Coming down curvy hill gearing down & Ex-Brake to stopsign, last minute used foot brake & all hard peddle!!!! Turns out the new vac pump had come apart, not come off but come apart!!!

Few yr ago I plugged the vac line to that round thingie over on the fender well & threw away it to trashcan so I don't have a brake lite. Moved the big tomato juice can from under hood to down on frame to make more room.

And I want to do the Hydroboost......down the road...... soon as I GET MY SHOP FINISHED!!!! Grrrrrrrr growllll Got to git-r-did!!
Perhaps put it under slight pressure,
Update on this thread new vac
Pump went bad after 1k miles

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just had one catastrophically fail after about 2500 miles. On my third lifetime warranty pump from O'Reilly now, but now the other brand.

You must be registered for see images attach

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I just had one catastrophically fail after about 2500 miles. On my third lifetime warranty pump from O'Reilly now, but now the other brand.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yes yours looks just like mine, litterly came apart after bout 300 mi.....new put on, then came apart. I have no idea how many mi was on my old one. I changed it chasing a clickie-click at idle. Changed my idler pully & tensioner also.
My '90 has this '94 factory IDIT engine with the serpentine belt set-up.

May just put my old one back on & get my money back from the new one.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yes yours looks just like mine, litterly came apart after bout 300 mi.....new put on, then came apart. I have no idea how many mi was on my old one. I changed it chasing a clickie-click at idle. Changed my idler pully & tensioner also.
My '90 has this '94 factory IDIT engine with the serpentine belt set-up.

May just put my old one back on & get my money back from the new one.

The previous Dorman one bought in TX was run for 5 years/30k. I thought it was getting weak but it turns out that the vac line to the freshly rebuilt c6 came loose. The c6 was suddenly acting weird so i blamed the pump and transmission because I didn't expect that to happen after a month.

O'Reilly's in Cedar City, UT warrantied it for the same Dorman one even though it was special order now. They were going to make me pay the difference if i got the other brand, Cardone. They ate the shipping cost. That one is pictured after it failed in Kingman, AZ. The O'Reilly's there warrantied it but swapped it out for the other brand carried now and didn't charge me for the difference in price.

Oh and you know what, actually that one barely lastest a few hundred miles. It just occurred to me, because I had another Cardone one I bought from Walmart online, that's the one that lasted 2500 miles. It failed one week after the 90 day return window, but corporate took it back and paid return shipping anyway.

I do wonder if it was related to the vacuum line being undone underneath that I didn't know about for a long time.

Someone on here sent me a used pump complete with the pulley and bracket in "unknown if working" condition and it does work so it saved me when the last O'Reilly Dorman one failed. I pretty much have to carry a spare pump anymore. I put the new O'Reilly's Cardone one on and put the used one back away as my emergency spare.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw a post on one of the IDI FB groups that a PSD vacuum pump fits if you've got a serpentine setup, could be handy if they do not have the IDI one in stock.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Saw a post on one of the IDI FB groups that a PSD vacuum pump fits if you've got a serpentine setup, could be handy if they do not have the IDI one in stock.

I have v-belts (85 E350 6.9). It's not hard to get a pump within 1-3 days, depending on weekends/holidays, but I have to keep one on hand for emergencies in the meantime. I was able to get one within 24 hours in Kingman. I just called in and had them order it. Put on my unknown condition spare one that worked so it got me by until the next day. It's also not hard to change, even on a van. I do have to unbolt the alternator, but I can just lay it to the side without unhooking the wires. The Lisle/Napa 39000 pulley puller is the main thing you need to do the job easily and properly.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
and put the used one back away as my emergency spare.
I'm carrying the one that I just changed out as a spare. It worked well enough to let me still have power brakes, but that's about it.
One can be used on a v belt set up too, but it's not a direct bolt on. The shaft on the drive unit that the pulley bolts to is bigger diameter on a IDI (v belt). You have to switch the pod from the PSD drive unit to the IDI one. Then the vacuum outlet (elbow) is facing a different direction than the IDI one is. I cut the elbow off of a bad vacuum pump, connected both elbow with a short piece of 3/8" rubber fuel line and hooked the cut off elbow to the main vacuum line for my truck. It worked fine for almost 5 years before I switched it out for my current one. At the time that I bought it, I was short on money, needed a vacuum pump, and this one was about $35-$40 cheaper than one for a IDI so I bought it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm carrying the one that I just changed out as a spare. It worked well enough to let me still have power brakes, but that's about it.

One can be used on a v belt set up too, but it's not a direct bolt on. The shaft on the drive unit that the pulley bolts to is bigger diameter on a IDI (v belt). You have to switch the pod from the PSD drive unit to the IDI one. Then the vacuum outlet (elbow) is facing a different direction than the IDI one is. I cut the elbow off of a bad vacuum pump, connected both elbow with a short piece of 3/8" rubber fuel line and hooked the cut off elbow to the main vacuum line for my truck. It worked fine for almost 5 years before I switched it out for my current one. At the time that I bought it, I was short on money, needed a vacuum pump, and this one was about $35-$40 cheaper than one for a IDI so I bought it.

Only recently have I had several bad ones.

The first Dorman pump I bought for the F250 in 2017 (swapped to the RV in 2019 for the lifetime warranty) lasted 5 years. And I thought it was bad when it probably wasn't, due to the aforementioned C6 hose falling loose and me not expecting that so I didn't check.

The Walmart "100% new" Cardone one just quit pumping like the drive side went bad inside, rather than the diagram side, after about 2500 miles. Corporate paid return shipping and refunded me a week after the return window closed, thankfully, so I lost nothing on it.

The O'Reilly Dorman replacement one I got last summer, as the replacement for the 2017 one, lasted maybe 400 miles tops before it simply fell apart.

So, I'm on an O'Reilly Cardone pump now, since that's the fastest one they could get and they did a full even warranty exchange, so it cost me nothing.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one on the 86 I think I got from O`Reallie`s a a year or so back. Not sure of when or mileage. Works ok??? at least the trucks stops.

I have 2 on the shelf from PNP Auto Supply, Brackets and Pulley for around $35.00.
I guess they are as good as any new one`s.
When I see one, I pull it.
Last one I removed, had zero Vacuum when turning the Pulley by hand.

It`s a krap shoot new or used.

Just remembered, I have one on the 7.3 I dragged home from PNP year N half ago.

Hydroboost is sounding better and better all the time.
probably a small electric pump would work for just the Heater/AC thingies.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have 2 on the shelf from PNP Auto Supply, Brackets and Pulley for around $35.00.
I guess they are as good as any new one`s.
When I see one, I pull it.
Last one I removed, had zero Vacuum when turning the Pulley by hand.

A "test" you can try is to stick your finger over the hose barb hole and try to turn the pulley by hand. If you can't, it's probably good. I tried that with the latest new one and couldn't, since it has good vacuum. If it can't pull in vacuum, it doesn't want to turn.

Thomas87

Reaction score
Seems no one makes a quality replacement for these vacuum pumps. I'm on my third one in less than a year. Each one was a different brand. Friend of mine is also on his second new one in a year. My most recent failure was odd as the pump seemed fine from the outside, still had a bit of resistance to turn pulley and all. However it didn't really suck or push air, just kinda moved it back and forth. As if the check valve of sorts failed inside.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A "test" you can try is to stick your finger over the hose barb hole and try to turn the pulley by hand. If you can't, it's probably good. I tried that with the latest new one and couldn't, since it has good vacuum. If it can't pull in vacuum, it doesn't want to turn.
That is what I do in the JY to see if it has vacuum.

Goat