Vacuum do-dad

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Besides the BRAKE light on the diesels with the above mentioned vacuum do-dad, my guess it may be a holdover from the gassers.

Most gassers I've dealt with, that had a vacuum leak big enough the brakes didn't work, you had other indications there was a problem, with either running issues, or the sound of the vacuum leak.......

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A vacuum failure is not catastrophic, you can still stop the truck using the brakes, but a hydraulic failure means NO BRAKES.

Dave

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my vacuum pump was failing on me the pedal would get intermittently hard, I would get no braking at all, and is coast for a while. How else could I have stopped other than using the parking brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You can still push on the pedal and the hydraulics still work, it really sucks without the power assist...... when I said above both feet and brace your shoulders on the seat, I wasn't kidding....... they will stop, it just takes a lot of force on the pedal with no assist. I actually think a vehicle that has an assist (vacuum or hydro) and that system is not working, the pedal effort is greater on those than a vehicle with manual brakes, from the factory. May do with the design of the pedal, like the difference between the vacuum and hydro pedal.........

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
MCs for power brake systems have a larger bore (.93"+), less travel for the same fluid transfer
MCs on manual brake systems have a smaller bore (.625-.875" generally), more travel to achieve the same fluid transfer, but much less effort to do so

I prefer manual brake systems on cars and toys

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ +1; That's if you can find one. Unassisted brakes are almost unheard-of, even on the cheapest cars. My '89 Colt came about as "entry level" as they come, manual steering, cheap steel wheels, not even a mirror on the passenger door. But it had power brakes.

IMHO, it's good practice to do, intentionally, what snicklas described. Find a place in a large parking lot where it's safe to do it, stall the engine and coast, and lightly pump the brakes a few times to exhaust the vacuum reserve, then try to actually stop the truck without the assist. It's better to know what kind of effort it takes BEFORE you might actually need it. And as said, it's a completely different situation from a catastrophic loss of braking from a hydrAULIC (note emphasis) failure; no added effort (other than divine, perhaps) will help that situation.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Wait, we haven't discussed the size of the pedal pad, the color of the brake fluid, or whether RABS is the greatest thing since sliced bread or the spawn of Satan.....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Wait, we haven't discussed the size of the pedal pad, the color of the brake fluid, or whether RABS is the greatest thing since sliced bread or the spawn of Satan.....

Or.......

What is the best brand of brake pads, or drums and rotors......

What is the best brand of brake fluid????

What color should I paint my calipers.........

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Paint the calipers? I just grease the rotors and inside the drum. You know, gotta keep it from rusting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
DOT3 vs DOT4 synthetic vs DOT5 silicone fluid needs discussed!!! :rotflmao

I wanna see someone spring for DOT5 in one of these trucks, at $15/PINT :puke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online