Upgraded turbochargers

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they have high reving high hp 6 bangers we got slow torquey v8 monsters
its apples and oranges

That's funnyLOL I have a 12cm housing on my old, 2600 rpm, low hp truck (had a 21cm housing stock:eek:). The last generation of the 5.9 (325hp610tq) had a tiny 9cm housing.

I'd be interested in driving over if the price was right and it was worth while :sly

He dropped it on the ground and broke something inside. It made his truck smoke like mad when he fired it up. He bought a new replacement that fixed his problem. I can see if he wants to get rid of it though if you want. PM me to keep this thread on topic;Sweet
Travis..

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a web site that will alow you to put in engine specs like diceplacement, cfm, rpms, ect and will then ploy points on turbo graphs for you. When I did that it looked like the HX35 wasn't the best choice. I will find the website later for you guys to mess with

I was hoping there might be something like that to give us a general idea.

sootman73

Reaction score
David your math is on the right track but your numbers are wrong. The reason you have such high airflow is because you ran your numbers assuming the engine had a volumetric efficiency of 100%. We calculated that these motors are around 66-69% efficient and there for would mean at 15psi there would be around 35lbs/min of airflow. now graph that at 2.00 on the PR and you'll see a much better looking value.

honestly these numbers are as close as we can get but to be truly accurate we need to get an N/A motor on an engine dyno and do some airflow testing. my airflow numbers are at 3000 rpm but you can do some math to figure out what the airflow is at at each rpm depending on where you want to see your boost goal.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David your math is on the right track but your numbers are wrong. The reason you have such high airflow is because you ran your numbers assuming the engine had a volumetric efficiency of 100%. We calculated that these motors are around 66-69% efficient and there for would mean at 15psi there would be around 35lbs/min of airflow. now graph that at 2.00 on the PR and you'll see a much better looking value.

honestly these numbers are as close as we can get but to be truly accurate we need to get an N/A motor on an engine dyno and do some airflow testing. my airflow numbers are at 3000 rpm but you can do some math to figure out what the airflow is at at each rpm depending on where you want to see your boost goal.

Uhuh.... so that confims it then. The compressor I am running is easily the worst of the ones mentioned here so far;Really Plotting your numbers puts it outside the efficiency range on the surge side of ideal.

The cummins turbo and the T61 look great though.

Here is the H trim just for reference:
You must be registered for see images attach

Seems to be very close to the 60-1 but can't flow as much. Which seems to match what the experience has been so far. There is more power, just not a lot of extra boost in the gauge.

So sootman, what exhaust turbine did you have in mind?

EDIT: thanks for the heads up on the VE specs of the engine. I had used 85% in previous calculations but it seems thats still way too high.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so an hx35 would be a good choice? well ill have to get that on soon now

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you calculate for twin compound style setup with a stock 93 and a hx35? thats waht i figured (first turbo figuring) would be a good combo

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats way over my head!LOL Sorry but I wouldn't know where to start for calculating compound setups. Would the same calculation of pressure ratio apply even if the inlet side is no longer atmospheric pressure?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
way i see it is you calc the first in as normal turbo then the second with the firsts psi as a base
way over my head though maybe ill just try it i need a turbo on my truck so if i find another holset then twins here we come

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I'm thinking too. That would by why they rate them in terms of pressure ration instead of PSI of boost, but I have to think there must be a difference when accounting for a compound setup. We know from Flatlander's experience that well over 20 PSI of boost is possible with a compound setup and a moose pump though. He also reported oddly low EGTs at the same time.....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just re- did the charts and a hx35 is to small. Not good for 10 psi from the looks of it.

Are you guys allowing for various sized exhaust housings when making these calculations ??

From what I read on the Cummins boards, the Hx35 can bury the needle on a 40-PSI boost gauge, when mounted on a 6BT. :dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I believe it only looks at the intake side as when you look at the graphs it shows you rpms of the turbo and it's efficiency, the exhaust housing is only for spinning the turbo.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
You Guys do know that You can customize a turbo to fit a variety of turbines? There are shops out there that will bore the housings to fit dang near any wheel You want.

The ebay link I posted is NOT a stock Banks compressor wheel/housing.

sootman73

Reaction score
You Guys do know that You can customize a turbo to fit a variety of turbines? There are shops out there that will bore the housings to fit dang near any wheel You want.

The ebay link I posted is NOT a stock Banks compressor wheel/housing.

yea you can have them bored out but its limited to compressor housing/wheel size. its not that universal. i think we need a bigger housing than what we have now. David didn't you have yours bored out to fit that 60-1 wheel? Could you go any farther than what you did on boring it out?

david i think you should try changing you exhaust turbine to something in the .85 a/r ratio and see how that works for you. with the current turbine you are majorly choking off that turbo at higher rpms.....