Upgraded turbochargers

sootman73

Reaction score
None of us have enough of those numbers without putting the engine on an engine dyno. yes we can find turbos that work but if you want to know the best turbo then you either do it trial and error or put it on an engine dyno and actually measure these parameters.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ive got a big whistler turbo on my multifuel. I can get some numbers for someone who wants to buy it. I will take some pics tomorrow. I am not sure of the boost on it but I will sell it cheap.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any information to add but holy cow i've learned alot!!!

You must be registered for see images

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just discovered that my turbo has shaft play, it almost looks like it will contact the housing. How hard would it be to put a powerrstroke turbo on these? I know that I would have to mess with the oil feed and return. But could one just tap some hole etc.

Or is there a better option. There are no upgrades for a banks turbo, and I dont want to spend the money to just get a stock turbo. So gentleman suggest a good turbo. This truck seems to be failing one piece at a time.

wmoguy

Reaction score
So I just discovered that my turbo has shaft play, it almost looks like it will contact the housing. How hard would it be to put a powerrstroke turbo on these? I know that I would have to mess with the oil feed and return. But could one just tap some hole etc.

Or is there a better option. There are no upgrades for a banks turbo, and I dont want to spend the money to just get a stock turbo. So gentleman suggest a good turbo. This truck seems to be failing one piece at a time.

You sure it's excessive play? Some side to side is normal, in fact without oil in it, to the point of it nearly touching the housing like you mentioned.

Dejomo

Reaction score
ok so on the box that my Hypermax turbo came in it said it was a TO4B69.

The Turbine side has an A/R of 1.15 and I believe the compressor's A/R is 0.70.

Does this add to the database of knowledge at all or at the very least confirm what someone else has?

And since it is going on my non-turbo it is an upgrade to me. :D

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just read the whole tread and some good info in here

would like to heare what you guys have to say about a garrett vt4502 as i got one of those sitting around right now

here is the specs i found on it

-Journal bearing large frame t6
-.60 a/r compressor 1.05 a/r exhaust
-compressor wheel 64/92
-exhaust wheel 82 all the way

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are upgrades for banks turbos, and the wheel can touch even on a fresh turbo rebuild. so oil it and then check the play.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are upgrades for banks turbos, and the wheel can touch even on a fresh turbo rebuild. so oil it and then check the play.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like the right turbo could be bolted to the existing exhaust flange on the ats 093 system, or an extension/adapter could be made to bolt a different turbo to it utilizing the existing plumbing. Just a thought.