Unconventional 1983 6.9l

ofourthreefive

Reaction score
Aright guys let me start out that I have learned a wealth of info from this forum so thank you even if I dont get any help from this post!

History: Here is the story, I have a 6.9l diesel that has about 200k miles and was rebuilt at about 100k so not in too bad of shape. When I first got it I didnt know much about diesel's and didnt realize how quickly the gps can burn up. Well they did and I ran into some cold starting problems. I let it sit for about 6 months before starting it again because I had some cheap walmart marine batteries hooked up in parallel with about 1000 CCA running it. It also had a worn out starter.

Where it is now:
So I replaced the starter and had it rebuilt by a REALLY well known guy in town, he did a good job because I watched the test. I also bought some good Napa group 31 batteries and trashed the marine ones that were on there. I started it today in about 70 degree weather and it took about 3 turns to get going but runs like a champ once started. Also when you turn to ignition to let the GP's cycle it clicks and the battery voltage will click up and down like the GP's are trying to turn on.

Where I need the guru help:
Now I need to do the gp's and hook them up to a momentary switch so I dont get into this problem again. The gp relay has a few different colored wires and is different from the ford trucks. So I wanted to know if you guru's on here could identify and point me to see which wires go to the controller or to the GP's. I have the diagram from the forum but its a little different. I attached a picture below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lastly here is what it is in :).

Last edited:

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil burners- from a fellow Jacksonville OB'er. Have you checked that all of your glow plugs are good yet? Did your controller start clicking almost immediately or did it take ten seconds or so? Three turns of the engine really isn't too bad at all.

ofourthreefive

Reaction score
Welcome to Oil burners- from a fellow Jacksonville OB'er. Have you checked that all of your glow plugs are good yet? Did your controller start clicking almost immediately or did it take ten seconds or so? Three turns of the engine really isn't too bad at all.

Haha very nice never thought id find a fellow ober locally! I have not done the test light trick just yet as I am scared lol. Im no ase certified mech just enough to be dangerous. It comes on and clicks almost immediately intervals every 3 secs.

SWEET short bus!

Thanks man!

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
read the post that I just wrote re: Glow plug controller to understand what the clicks (relays) are that you are hearing.

get your test light out and see if your plugs are good and go from there!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Small terminal on the right in that picture. Test it by disconnecting the wire, turning the key on, and checking for power at that wire.
But something doesn't quite look right, although I can't put my finger on it...
Nice short bus.

Not all that different just this^ one had an owner who got bored with some spray paint.

Go whip some brodies with it, you know you want to..

ofourthreefive

Reaction score
Small terminal on the right in that picture. Test it by disconnecting the wire, turning the key on, and checking for power at that wire.
But something doesn't quite look right, although I can't put my finger on it...
Nice short bus.

Not all that different just this^ one had an owner who got bored with some spray paint.

Go whip some brodies with it, you know you want to..

Ill give it a shot! If it get's power or doesnt, what is that going to say about it?

ofourthreefive

Reaction score

As an update- Biofarmer swung by to take a look at it and help a fellow OB'er out. I am very thankful and we are going to do the GP's before too long!

ofourthreefive

Reaction score
He really is- I cant thank him enough. I was under the impression that relay I was looking at was the GP he corrected me as that's the starter relay haha.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
As an update to this, at some point a previous owner replaced the 6.9 controller and harness with a 7.3 system. Mike had purchased the proper GP's (spade connector) for a 6.9, so you can imagine our surprise upon seeing little bullet heads and a 7.3 controller tucked away right where it belongs behind the intake. ZD-9's should be obtained from O'Reily's this evening...

ofourthreefive

Reaction score
Final update, Gus found the problem as a bad controller as we replaced the GP's. We hooked up a momentary switch and this is the first time the old bus has started first turn in 3 years. I am in debt to BioFarmer and I cant thank OB forum enough!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Big brother as is bigger bus? Didn't know the 6.9 was offered with a factory turbo... Sound neat! Whats the HP rating on it?