Uncommon problem, need some ideas

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I haven't been real active on the board in a while, mainly because my truck has been parked for the past year or so. I have a company vehicle now, so the IDI has been retired from DD Duty and relegated to holding down the driveway and dragging the trailer around when needed, which hasn't been much lately.

The Las Vegas sun has been beating on the truck, so I paid a hefty price for a custom cover for the truck from California Car Covers. It's the nice ultraweave material, which is waterproof and 100% UV proof, according to them. I also bought some tire covers to keep the sun from rotting the tires off the truck. I washed and waxed the truck real well, and installed the cover a few weeks ago. We have had some substantial rain this week, which has revealed a small error in my plan to protect the truck: That fancy waterproof cover will actually hold water in the bed of the truck, and pool up to the point that I'm worried it'll tear my $500 cover...

So far, I've put a 4'x8' inflatable pool cover support air pillow and some large beach balls in the bed to hold up the cover, but the water always finds a low spot and pools anyhow. I'm looking for a solution that will hold up the cover and cause the water to roll off, rather than pool up. I've thought about a PVC pipe frame, bows across the bed similar to a tonneau cover support system, and a makeshift plywood tonneau cover to suppor the cover so it doesn't hold water. The solution must be cheap, easy to remove, and non-permanent so that I can quickly and easily uncover and use the truck if needed. Hit me with your ideas!

Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 7

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i dont see what can go wrong with a trip to the hardware store and some pvc pipe. build a frame with bow top to it..

the plywood idea would work as well. and prob cheaper and easier to store..water might sit flat on the cover but at least it wont sag or rip it

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I had some old Pex pipe that I ran from inside the bed pocket on one side to the other. (Almost looks like a mini covered wagon.) The pex tubing has just the right amount of flex to keep the cover up and low spots gone.

Probably get some free pieces from a plumber.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because of my homeowners when the truck is here I have to make sure the garage is clean enough to squeeze the truck in, I have it down to a science.

wmoguy

Reaction score
i dont see what can go wrong with a trip to the hardware store and some pvc pipe. build a frame with bow top to it..

the plywood idea would work as well. and prob cheaper and easier to store..water might sit flat on the cover but at least it wont sag or rip it

Spot on the way I'd go. We made one for our boat. It's a mid engine Mastercraft, and water notoriously pools behind the motor box clear to the stern of the boat. A few bucks in PVC pipe and an hour of time and you too can have a slick little frame thats light weight and will prop up your cover to keep water from pooling.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a centre pole with some type of large soft round aka ball like a basket ball or something like that or two of them installed in the middle of the bed peaking the cover to cause the rain to run off.

JM2CW

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple obtain 2 sheets of 7/16ths ply, two cinder blocks 2, 2 by lay your ply down set your blocks 2 feet in from both ends screw the 2bys together with three screws and put your cover back on. your done. My best suggestion.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm, just get a 1/2" piece of ply wood from Lowes/Home Depot that will sit on top the bed rails, take cover off, slide on, put cover back on.

Whats the problem? :)