Twisted an axle shaft today!

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Twisted off the yoke on the end of the right side intermediate shaft on Dog (the '86) while I was plowing snow today. Can't find the axle ID no.# to see if it's a Dana 44 or a Dana 50. I transplanted this axle out of a 90 F250 7.3.... Ford can't tell me by the VIN of course. Are there any sure fire ways of identifying a 44 from a 50 without pulling the diff. cover off? And I need the shaft ASAP. We have snow now and more on the way in a few days. Anybody got any ideas??? Are the axle shaft a smaller diameter on a 44 than a 50 and if so, What are the measurements? HELP!!!!

Hoss.... :dunno

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana 50s have the same sized hubs, bearings, lockouts as a dana 60. The hubs are big! They just about fill the entire center hole of the rim. Dana 44s are much smaller, and taper down in size. Dana 60 hubs keep the same diameter.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
50 and 44 axles if its a TTB are identical dimensionally between years...spline count on outter stub shafts changed in the early 80's but thats about all I know.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any sure fire ways of identifying a 44 from a 50 without pulling the diff. cover off?

A Dana 44 diff cover is 10 3/8" wide and the Dana 50 is 12 1/8" wide and the model number should be stamped into the differential casting.

Attachments

• forddiffgaskets.jpg
    forddiffgaskets.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 11
  • billofmaterial.jpg
    billofmaterial.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 12

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Axle application....

Are the axle shafts interchangeable between a 50TTB and a 44TTB... As I say - I need the intermediate shaft on the right for mine. I think it's a 44 and i have a 50 here. I am considering doing a 44 straight axle conversion from a 77-79!?????? Is it simple????? I saw one on ebay with another spring perch welded on right beside the original on the drivers side. And he said that was all that needed to be done!?????? I am leaning toward the 44 str. axle - if it is easy. Thinkin' of doin' the same on the '97 too....

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I used a bronco shaft on my 84 f250 once-even found some parts of the shaft were same as a Chevy 1/2 ton.I forget which parts from a chevy I have used (definatly not intermediate shafts) Maybe stub ends?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
The D44 Straight axle has the pumpkin in a veery inconvenient place for our trucks without a lot of lift.