Turbo time thanks to head gasket leak

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Thanks
That's a Clean set up you have
Probably going to run a similar set up.

Thank you, I think that since I did so much work on my wife's old Honda Accord, I now have an almost phobic dislike for clutter under the hood- stay tuned because when the engine goes back in I'll be using the opportunity to streamline and de-clutter as much as I can.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Decided to keep the mech oil sender tube plugged into the factory sender location because I already had the hardware to do it.. So, does anyone know if these two oil ports under the cooler are both pressurized, or if one of them is a return? Since I still have the engine on the stand, it will be no problem plumbing one (or both?) of those for turbo oil supply. http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/coreyzak/oilports.jpg

I think I'm going to go ahead and drill & tap the manifolds for the EGT sensors at the same time. I've found a good price on a unit that will accept and display two inputs simultaneously, http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_21&products_id=357 and use two of these- http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=182 with the 1/8 NPT adapters that they have for them.

Since I was a ******* and didn't pay attention when I put the new turbo heads on, I got them on opposite sides and had to swap plugs, nipples and sensors over, this was no problem until I came to the 9/16" 4 point plug in the passenger side head where the heater hose nipple should be. I was limited in what could even reach it, nothing worked. I ended up welding a 3/4" hex nut onto the top of it, needless to say it came out. once it was out, I went ahead and finished the weld then cleaned it up a little.

Got the new glow plug harness made and installed, oil cooler removed, cleaned, painted & resealed, finally found the harmonic balancer so I was able to get the pulleys back on and found the right 5/8" hose to use for the breathers and catch can/recirc line. Hope to have it back in Henry this weekend...

Attachments

• GEDC0085.jpg
    GEDC0085.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 25
  • GEDC0088.jpg
    GEDC0088.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 30
  • GEDC0089.jpg
    GEDC0089.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 27
  • GEDC0086.jpg
    GEDC0086.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 24

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plug at the rear of the block is a common place to tap for turbo feed. I used that spot for my oil pressure gauge. It is pretty close to the exhaust. I have header wrap on my up pipes and the gauge works fine. I think the plug toward the front ends up under the motor mount.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
The plug at the rear of the block is a common place to tap for turbo feed. I used that spot for my oil pressure gauge. It is pretty close to the exhaust. I have header wrap on my up pipes and the gauge works fine. I think the plug toward the front ends up under the motor mount.

OK, well there are two plugs under the oil cooler, the forward most of which IS under a motor mount, the next one further back is not. The third one is on the flange at the back of the block where the transmission mounts. Which one are you talking about?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flange at the rear of the block is where I have my oil feed.

Banks turbo kits use this port. They send you a 90 degree adapter to get the oil feed line going up and away from the exhaust.

All if those 1/8th npt plugs, that have a 1/4 in square head, are direct ports to the main journals. You will have plenty of oil from any one of them you can get a line on.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Back To Work..

Today was Road Draft Tube day, so I fabbed up the exhaust insert tube and installed it. The aerodynamics of the RDT insert tube and Exhaust pipe wall are important enough to warrant a few minutes consideration before any metal cutting. We want to minimize the intrusion of a foreign body into the exhaust flow, yet still be able to create a slight low pressure area behind the leading edge of the insert tube so crankcase gasses always have a bit of suction on them. The system I'm putting together is somewhat of a hybrid, in that it uses a 1.5L baffled, vented, oil catch can tee'd into and under both breather hoses so non-suspended oil drips into it, reducing the amount making it to the exhaust pipe and my driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 19

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Almost There

So Sunday saw the power steering pump & A/C compressor re-installed (after a long internet search for the bracket configuration) the vacuum pump & alternator got mounted up also. All belts re-installed and radiator hoses mounted onto engine. A buddy is coming over tonight to help me lift the radiator into place. Hopefully after the fluids go in I'll be able to start it, it's been a long time. A question comes to mind here- how many miles or hours should I run this first batch of oil? my thinking is "not too long at all" but I want to know what wiser heads think..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On the drivers side of the block are 4 plugs. There are 3 main oil galley plugs. Those are 2 behind the oil cooler tube bundle and 1 on the rear bell housing flange. Not the last plug mentioned is the coolant drain just above the oil filter area. On the non turbo blocks this drain port is 1/4 inch where all the other ports on that side are 1/8 inch ports. Banks has always used that bell housing port to supply their turbos. Then they take off the turbo oil feed block for the pressure sender. Our engines are high volume oil feed but not high pressure feed systems like a sb chevy.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Yes- and that is one of the two on that side I'm using. Since it was the most difficult to get to, I installed an elbow into it along with oil supply line before I bolted the exhaust manifold up. The other end of that line is temporarily secured into the 1/8 NPT oil galley port forward of that (the easy one) until turbos are installed and I plug the other supply line in there. Just want to get it running first.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
How did this install turn out?

The install is stalled- I'm dealing with an oil leak(s) right now and dreading having to pull the engine again. For some of you, I know pulling an engine is no big deal, but for me it's a HUGE deal involving hoist rental, very little help and a left arm that's only 30% functional... Not to mention that it has to be done in a HOA neighborhood crawling with tattletales. The turbos, tubes, clamps, electronics and bits and pieces just sit and mock me from the table they sit on. Oh yeah, I got laid off about 5 weeks ago also. I almost had a good enough attitude 2 days ago to grab one of them and get under the truck with it to figure out where I'm gonna put them, but it faded.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where's the leak? I read thru the thread and was hoping to see how clean you got the engine compartment, as I too hate the clutter in there, and when I build my 6.9 I'm willing to bet the compartment will be the most involved....thanks and godspeed

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
One leak is at the right front, almost at the corner, between oil pan and block. The other seems to be from the brand new front main- I haven't had the pulley off to see yet. I was meticulously careful with the RTV sealant on the pan and am so disappointed that I didn't get a good seal there. The new front main went on perfectly and there was no obvious wear, so I'm at a loss on that one.