True dual exhaust??

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
+1 on the obnoxiousness! My '86 went through 3 cheap exhaust systems last year and I gave up and just ran the open Y-Pipe! By the time farming was done last fall and it was snow plow season, I never hooked it back up. Plowing snow with an open Y-Pipe was kinda fun though, I would bet my shoveler how many car alarms I could set off haha.

I too would go with a 3" exhaust, the more flow the better, and no rasp! Yuck, rasp.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
yep i'm a cheap ass aswell, but it's kinda a good thing.. i'll have to do some searches, maybe someboy does make a daul 3" to single 4" or 5" collector. that would be sweet and should sound good.;Sweet

Kinda been looking for someeghin like that for my Cummins 4Bt PRoject,,.

Her ya go:

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-459/Aluminized,-Steel,-AS,-Y,/Detail

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/h,x,ypipes.html

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...m_term=10773290&source=cj&utm_content=3665722

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Screw that, get the Dynomax Y-pipe and run 5 inch to the back...good mellow tone....

^^^What he said!^^^

Ok I have done a lot of experimenting with exhaust over the years, there are lots of options for sounds and performance.

One of the BEST sounding NA Diesel Trucks that I have heard was 6.9Oilers Truck. He had a 3' pipe to a 3" Cherry Bbomb muffler and a 3" tail pipe, Thats it, single all of the way back and it sounded Mean! I was jelous, all the money that I put into my Dual Exhaust on my 87 6.9 NA, and his sounded way better than mine.

There is a lot to be said for a big single exhaust on a NA, Get the right Dynomax Y Pipe and it and open it up from there and it will flow and sound Great.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow i just measured the y-pipe i took off, 2" pipe coming off the manifolds.. geuss theres no way to upgrade to 3" from the manifolds, i'll have to step it up from 2"-3" rite?? cause the collector is only 2".

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new to the site an diesels but im looking into getting duel pipes running front to rear on my 88 350 cc dually an either turning them out in front of the wheels or maybe at a slant to after so they point at the rear corners ...being new to diesels this is my first 1 an having too many friends that think gasser's are the way to go in the world they tell me if i do straight pipes i will lose my backpressure an the motor will fall flat on its face ....so from what ive read its gonna be loud n thats fine i just wanna know if its gonna have any bad effects on my motor / power / or mpg as i am getting 18 ish mpg right now ...eventually i want to put a Hypermax turbo on the truck but thats a few grand down the road ....................by the way this site is great i got alot to learn

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I meant by my first post was asking him if hes still running the stock y pipe. I see in his signature hes done some exhaust work already.

What I meant though was eliminating the y pipe and going to true duals will help with power and fuel economy.

Guess I need to watch how I word things.:dunno

Nah, my bad in retrospect i could see what you mean.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really cant see any performance improvement with running duals on a N/A truck

More flow = more power, thats first grade stuff.. These things are choked thru one 2.5" hole from the factory and the super restrictive manifolds have 2" collectors. Were talkin 444ci and make 22.5 pounds of compression, thats alott of high pressure air trying to get out. You would'nt put a 2.5" y pipe on a 10.1 bigblock would ya..

Good dauls and a custom cold air intake, probly only worth 15-20hp on these PIGS, but thats 15-20hp it didnt have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online