truck won't start after ac12g plug install

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long would you keep them on with the manual button tho, still 10 seconds like you do with the ZD1s?

Look at this video, Those are wellman 088's (A.K.A DieselRx)

I don't know what David85 tested, but my '88's are self regulating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Azfql5AEU

Took alot of cranking, but i started up at 0 degrees today, with only 4 plugs. (only had time to change 4. still better than one good i had before)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to diminish what you are doing here, but you really have to test off a starting battery. 10 amps from a charger is not conclusive and with the power turned down far enough, any glow plug will run like a light bulp without burning out dual coil or not.

I tested the WAP088 on a large starting battery that was connected to a 0.5 amp trickle charger and it started swelling right at the 9 second mark and ruptured at the 23 second mark. The tip swelled up big enough that retrieval from the engine would have been impossible.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This and other glowplug threads are full of good info. Maybe a thread that sifts all the facts to yield a sticky that forever defines the glow issue.....

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Alright, you guys have thoroughly confused me. ( Don't get too smug--its not really that hard to do.)

For the simple people, what plugs should I/ can I use in my absolutely stock '94 Turbo IDI with its stock controller?
It doesn't even hiccup on these cold mornings. The WTS comes on for about 20 or 30 seconds, and then goes off. The Volt Meter shows that there is a current draw and it is cycling.
If I plug in the heater for a few hours it starts like a June morning.

I am assuming I have a GP problem--its too cold to do much by the way of diagnostics right now.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. i have a solid state plug system on my 85. i recently replaced the plugs with bosch plugs for a 92 7.3. i have all but one replaced. it takes about four or five cycles of about 30secs or more to get it to start and even then i have to hold the pedal to the floor and crank a good bit. what are some affordable glowplugs that would make this easier. i'm not doing the motorcraft beru's so any other suggestions?

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. i have a solid state plug system on my 85. i recently replaced the plugs with bosch plugs for a 92 7.3. i have all but one replaced. it takes about four or five cycles of about 30secs or more to get it to start and even then i have to hold the pedal to the floor and crank a good bit. what are some affordable glowplugs that would make this easier. i'm not doing the motorcraft beru's so any other suggestions?
go here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php find coupons here http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com and get the beru, I order two a week and they cost me 22 (for two) with shipping, not cause they burn out that fast, but cause work is slow, and after removing the number one plug (about 2.5 hours-cuss) I think I can only handle to do two per week

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$22 a glowplug, holy cow highway robbery, if I had to pay that I'd be converting to a Cummins grid heater faster than it takes me to actually find one on ebay!!!

Michael Fowler, I use the factory ZD9 plugs in my truck, last year I was firing at sub-zero temperatures with no block heater, now even with one or two dead plugs I can still fire and temperatures below freezing. I'm getting a new set of ZD9 plugs from a fellow member here, this way I have lots of spares for the future.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though i am a proponent of other glow plugs for the 6.9's or any on a push button, I agree with M.L.S.C. ZD9's for you, Michael.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$22 a glowplug, holy cow highway robbery, if I had to pay that I'd be converting to a Cummins grid heater faster than it takes me to actually find one on ebay!!!

Michael Fowler, I use the factory ZD9 plugs in my truck, last year I was firing at sub-zero temperatures with no block heater, now even with one or two dead plugs I can still fire and temperatures below freezing. I'm getting a new set of ZD9 plugs from a fellow member here, this way I have lots of spares for the future.
that's for two with shipping, c'mon I wouldn't pay THAT much

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up putting a/c 12g's in my truck last weekend, didnt have time to get motorcraft shipped in.
I tested a couple of them and they did not swell or distort when they burned out and they sell here at a reasonable price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online