truck won't start after ac12g plug install

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put in those ac12g glow plugs and the truck won't start. The WTS start comes on for only a second thats it. The controller just clicks away. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they ever work with the factory controller?

Could be the controller is confused by the different glow plugs.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck had 6 champion and 2 autolites in it. It would crank but it would take a couple of seconds. The controller worked as far as I know. I guess a might wire a switch into and see if that is it.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Check the plugs for continuity.

You need to get those plugs out and get some Beru's. Type Beru into the searchbox.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bypass the controller and put the switch in the cab. Held the button in for 5 seconds and the truck fired right up. I just the controller could have been bad along with a couple of the glow plugs. Its fixed now. I will find out in the morning if it works good. Going to get cold. Thanks for all the help. The AC12G plugs are the ones I am trying out to see if they work.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
FWIW, to My knowledge, no other plug, besides Beru's, and High buck Marine plugs. have proven not to swell.

So if You feel confident, keep running them. Most won't take the chance of them swelling, breaking stuff.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, to My knowledge, no other plug, besides Beru's, and High buck Marine plugs. have proven not to swell.

So if You feel confident, keep running them. Most won't take the chance of them swelling, breaking stuff.

FWIW, to my knowledge I have a set of 8 AC Delco 12G plugs sitting in a cardboard box right about 4ft from me, they have been glowed for a few minutes at a time on several occasions and are presumably dead, however they don'r show even a sign of swelling. I'm just saying...

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
FWIW, to my knowledge I have a set of 8 AC Delco 12G plugs sitting in a cardboard box right about 4ft from me, they have been glowed for a few minutes at a time on several occasions and are presumably dead, however they don'r show even a sign of swelling. I'm just saying...

That's how they keep them from swelling, short life span plugs! :rotflmao

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a glow plug snob as much as the next IDI guy, but if I could find a TRUE self regulating dual coil glow plug than I would consider getting one or two for testing.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck had 6 champion and 2 autolites in it. It would crank but it would take a couple of seconds. The controller worked as far as I know. I guess a might wire a switch into and see if that is it.

Heck I would just get 2-more Champs.
I ran them for the better part of 15 years with great performance and great cold weather starts!

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I JUST WANTED TO TRY THEM OUT. The truck had 2 autoshits and 8 champions in it. The 2 autoshits was burned out and swollen and 1 champion burned out and not swollen. No telling how long they have been in there. I put the AC12Gs in there to try them out. I have nothing to lose doing that. It might be a cheaper route out than buying the BERUs. I had to wire the controller up, but still, if they work it would be better than spending at money YOU don't have to. I got them for 9.84 each SO WHAT!

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get motorcraft/beru glow plugs in the $10 range with ford logo on the plastic bag and everything....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online