truck won't start after ac12g plug install

spyder1100

Reaction score
I know on the 7.3 they won't. Not sure about how the 6.9 controller works, but I would assume they would. The 6.9 plugs are self regulating, like the AC 60G and the Autolite 1110 I tested. The replacement 6.9 are still 6 volt plugs tho. I would assume you could still use the 60G or the 1110 in the 6.9 since they are also self regulating. You'd just be using 12v plugs instead of 6v. They would have to heat a little longer, but would take alot more abuse. Down here in North Carolina it doesn't get as cold as it did when I was up north, but at 15 to 20 degrees outside without the heater plugged in, I run my 1110's for 15 seconds and she fires first time every time. Not too bad for a truck with almost 290k on the odometer. On a side note, the 60G did get hotter than the 1110, but it burned out when I hit it with 18v. The 1110 didn't burn out even at 24v. Granted our trucks aren't going to see anything like that.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Motorcraft/Beru ZD1A glow plugs are self regulating????

I know I managed to burn out a set on my truck once.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZD1s ain't self regulating, folks burn them out left and right if they overglow them, heck my buddy just killed a set of 2-month-old ones in his '86. Also, I don't think they are 6V either, there ain't nothing in the circuit to drop the voltage down so much.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
now i wonder if the Delco glow plug controller is a better way to go, esp if your using the delco plugs, I know my brother bought a 6.2 suburban 7 years ago and the GP controller has never failed. but that is just 1 case....

stir stir stir :D

You must be registered for see images

spyder1100

Reaction score
The ZD1's are also 6v. Your right, there isn't anything to step the voltage down. That's why they heat up so fast, then burn out. Imagine taking a flashlight with 2 double A batteries, and replacing them with a 9v. It'll burn alot brighter for a second or two, then burn out. It's them same principal. If you double the voltage it'll get hot twice as fast, but burn out just as fast. Also, the ZD1'a are rated at 50 watts.

spyder1100

Reaction score
I believe those are for a Dodge Sprinter or a Mercedes C320. The threads are right, but I think they are more like the ones for a powerstroke instead of the IDI. I think they're too long.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I ran the bosch duratherm 80034 in my truck for a couple months, and near as I can tell they will not burn out. I recently switched them out for zd9s because of hard cold starting and it didnt help at all.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I've heard conflicting stories is they are 12v or 24v. The plugs themselves are 12v. They just have the bullet connector. You can get them from NAPA. Just look up a 1993 AM General Hummer, and get the military ones. They are AC 15G glow plugs. They're 12v 75 watts.

I bought these AC 15G plugs. There's a catch that I found out though. They are NOT 12V. They are 17.5V, not sure on the wattage. They won't work with a controller due to the higher resistance, 2.5 ish. So far they havn't burned out, don't think they will cause they dont see what they want to for voltage. I even took the resistor off the relay, and ran the switch so they see full battery power.

I'm stuck with these because I can't return them because they were a special order, so i'm working with them.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy, so how are they working so far, other than not playing nice with the controller? How long do you have to hold them on before you can fire up?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Andy, so how are they working so far, other than not playing nice with the controller? How long do you have to hold them on before you can fire up?

They are holding up just fine. They just can't get hot enough, even with full battery voltage going to them. When I say hot enough, I mean glowing, eye-burning orange that you see with other ones. It gets red about 1/3 up the plug and when Its cold outside, you have to crank with the plugs on. I start cranking about 1 min or so of them being on. Fires up great so far. Only time It didn't fire was when I was trying to get it started while the controller was off. But apparantly they get hot enough to ignite the fuel if they are still on when you crank.

Full plug anaylsis.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a glow plug snob as much as the next IDI guy, but if I could find a TRUE self regulating dual coil glow plug than I would consider getting one or two for testing.

David85,

Wellman (A.K.A WAP, DieselRx) DRX00088's are true self regulating dual coil plugs, and work with the stock controller in the 86's. They wont work with solid state controller. They will work VERY well with a push button though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are holding up just fine. They just can't get hot enough, even with full battery voltage going to them. When I say hot enough, I mean glowing, eye-burning orange that you see with other ones. It gets red about 1/3 up the plug and when Its cold outside, you have to crank with the plugs on. I start cranking about 1 min or so of them being on. Fires up great so far. Only time It didn't fire was when I was trying to get it started while the controller was off. But apparantly they get hot enough to ignite the fuel if they are still on when you crank.

Full plug anaylsis.
Interesting, so if you leave them on for a bit over a minute and then hit the starter with them still glowing she lights off right away? That's rather nice, however can you please try that again when it gets real cold outside, I mean like 0F cold? I know the ZD9s allow me to fire at -5F if I double-glow them, right now at 20F she lights off on 6 or 7 cylinders cause I got one or two dead GPs but she still starts amazingly easy for her condition, especially considering that's the factory temperature limit with 8 plugs intact, haha!

David85,

Wellman (A.K.A WAP, DieselRx) DRX00088's are true self regulating dual coil plugs, and work with the stock controller in the 86's. They wont work with solid state controller. They will work VERY well with a push button though.
How long would you keep them on with the manual button tho, still 10 seconds like you do with the ZD1s?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70