Truck Started not Starting Right Away..

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
The 'fitting' that the return line clamps to on the filter head is the check valve. It's right next to the bleeder/schrader valve on the engine side of the housing. Just unscrew it, and see if you can see daylight through it. If you do, it's stuck open (not good)

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
That return line doesn't go to the driver's side though. It goes to the nearest injector on the passenger side. That line should only be maybe 10" long before it gets to the injector.

rockchuk

Reaction score
You are correct. I was looking at the wrong problem. I took the fitting off the filter and it looks like a barbed 1/4 " hose fitting. I don't think it was ever a check valve. I am new to this truck and motor. (just purchased it not running) Then bought a supposedly rebuilt motor. Just installed and runs great but the guy that rebuilt the motor leaves something to be desired. 6 of the 8 glow plugs were bad , the IP was leaking through the throttle shaft, The glo plug controler was put on backwards and I couldn't figure out why the harness wouldn't fit. and now this. I am going to take it one step at a time. Any info would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Well those little check valves are 20-25 bucks at Ford, but they seem to be able to get them by the next day. They do look just like a hose fitting, but a good one you obviously just can't see light through. At least it sounds like you were able to pull the bad GP's out. A lot of them, especially Autoshite's, will swell up and won't come out of the head at all

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the check valve solve your starting problem, Silver Burner? I've got what I believe to be the same issue. BTW, nice truck! I love those Crew cab f350 4x4s.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
It sure did! Truck's been starting in 20 degree weather without a hitch. I also noticed that the slight hesitation that I was having before the switch is gone. now when I hit the gas it takes off like someone lit a fire under its ****!

Thanks for the props man! I love this beast for sure. Of course, I've got plans for it. First thing, I've got this massive 1/4" plate bumper I'm gonna put on the front and I've got a huge brush guard from my old 86 that I'm gonna weld onto the plate bumper. Turn the thing into a real cow pusher!. The stock bumper's all mangled up anyway...

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I had an issue with my fuel filter. It waant the valve. The filter had a very hard starting problem. it was a wix. i switched it for a carquest which is basically the same thing but it fixed it right away.

rockchuk

Reaction score
Didn't fix the whole problem. Starts easier but still has trouble. On to trouble shoot the glow plug system

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online