Truck going in shop for work

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and here are a few pictures of my new motor that i put in last year.no gaskets in it

:eek: BABY BLUE!!!!!.......Ya shoulda painted it CAT Yeller as expensive as everything is...Oh and that CAT yeller is good for an extra 100 HP too;Sweet ;Really :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the advance stores that i deal with couldnt find them as well as the napa,autozone,carquest and ford.:confused:

Ain't no different here which is why I always look up my own part numbers when possible before going into stores anymore.....Seems if you're talking about anything but a ricer it's Greek to them and if you mention the word DIESEL:eek: you may as well be speaking Martian.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wont tell you what that blue is actually for.;Really i had some cat yella but dont really care for the yellow.black and grey are just too plain.i was considering that bright green engine paint though cookoo

but atleast now i have a part number for the gaskets for the next rebuild/replacement.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wont tell you what that blue is actually for.;Really

Looks like Ford's "Grabber Blue"......Of course it looks like the powder blue that was originally on my '77 AMC Gremlin and my '80 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade:popcorn

If I ever have to pull this one again I'm gonna paint it Cat yellow and replace the Powerstroke emblems with CAT emblems just to mess with clueless people:D ..........If I ever have to flat out replace it I just might put a CAT backed by an Allison in it.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought about pontiac blue but i will not disgrace the color by useing it on a ford!!!!!

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
I ordered, and waited for this truck in 1995. Don't know if there were gaskets on it, or not. All I know is I had soot coming out the rear-most cylinders on both sides, and the up-pipe doughnut gaskets were shot also. Putting a straight edge on the exhaust manifolds showed an imperfection. I saw this, and they installed gaskets on re-assembly.

The only thing I know for certain, is that this truck has gaskets sealing the exhaust manifolds to the heads right now. Works good too, lol. I just re-torqued the bolts this morning, and I'll probably do it again in a couple of days just to make sure I don't have to do it again.:D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe us southern boys are a little bit smarter than you northern Yankees, :rotflmao

nope.i just gotta deal with the ricer crowd that dont know jack about diesels or older AMERICAN cars.

go to autozone and ask for a set of intake manifold gaskets for a 1966 pontiac grand prix with a 389 in it.itll take the guy 10 minutes to figure out how to look for cars that old and another 5 to tell you they dont have it and they are not made anymore.then tell hime to get you a set for a 1978 firebird with a 400 in it.itll take few to find it but they will have it.now tell them its the same set the 389 takes and watch them get a real stupid look on thier face as you show them the box where it lists 326,350,400,389,421,428 and 455 engines on it from 1965-1979 :rotflmao

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
ive seen many fords with the last exhaust manifld bolt missing or broke.
also lots of donuts leaking, but soot was in a different place./
worst case I had was a 95 that the head was actually rusted through above the last cylinder and leaking exhaust.
been getting felpro gaskets for a few years now.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
nope.i just gotta deal with the ricer crowd that dont know jack about diesels or older AMERICAN cars.

This a quote from your first assumptions of what I had done to my truck:

"sorry but this has been buggin me a bit and i just cant leave it alone.sorry to be a buzz kill but i gotta speak my mind here.

exhaust manifold gaskets?PSDs dont have them nor are they made that i know of from ford or aftermarket.

they had to cut your downpipe to get the up pipes out?why not just remove the down pipe?there is no need to remove it to do upipe gaskets anyways.remove the turbo and drivers side uppipe and pull the splitter off the passengers side unless your up pipes had a nasty groove worn into them from the donuts.but still no need to mess with the downpipe.

not enough time to gut the EBPV?the turbo is off.it takes a whole 5 minutes to gut itand a whole 10 minutes to pull the actuator out cut it off,tap the hole for a pipe plug,stick the end of the actuator back in and put the cap and circlip back in.

never heard about or seen the valve chip a downpipe.sounds mor like they had the flange ainst the valve while try to cut the down pipe to get it for no reason.a quick blob job with the welder and a reshape with a grinder would have fixed that in about 5 minutes as well."

Maybe you should re-think your buzz killing. My truck runs good, WITH THE AFTERMARKET EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS, the downpipe HAD TO BE CUT because it wouldn't separate apart after being on the truck for 6 years. I felt better about welding in a new collector on the turbo end, because I am a pipeline weldor, and I know a little bit about hoop strength of pipe.:D

I was smart enough to get someone else to turn wrenches on the truck while I drank beer and watched them groan about how tight everything was

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may wanna drop the beer and go reread the post again.i never said anything about the way the truck runs with gaskets in the manifolds.i said nobody made gaskets for the PSD exhaust manifold,wich i found out i was wrong about that.

the downpipe doesnt need to be removed to do the uppipe donuts.

im not gonna get into the "I was smart enough to get someone else to turn wrenches on the truck while I drank beer and watched them groan about how tight everything was" comment just check these pictures out.and also let not forget the truck that was burnt by thier HPOP system cuz of a hacked hose.oh and the injector in a friends truck that the top half of it was loose.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/249890596arpbEK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online