Truck going in shop for work

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Truck is going into shop for some work. Did some wheeling and dealing with David and Johnathon at Swamps for some mechanic work and parts.

I've been running without gauges of any kind, just running by the seat of my pants, so, exhaust temp, tranny temp, and boost gauges going in.

I have a v-10 tranny cooler in the garage, and they're going to install it for me.

New up-pipes and doughnut gaskets going in.

New chip.

While they are working on the up-pipes, I think I'll have them gut the back pressure valve.

Got a bike rally that I might be trailering to, and I'll need to monitor the tranny, so, I felt the need to get some work done for a long trip.:D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll feel alot more comfortable with some feedback info. I bet the new chip will pep things up a bit also. Hows the tranny been performing?

Going to MB?

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
You'll feel alot more comfortable with some feedback info. I bet the new chip will pep things up a bit also. Hows the tranny been performing?

Going to MB?

Going to Thunderbeach in PC. Last place to be a redneck on a bike without Barney trying to take you out.

Tranny holding up fine, chip is for firming up the shifting. My old chip performs well, except for the shifting. They tried to reflash old chip, but it is too old for all the new stuff apparently.

Lol, ought to be interesting in the condo with 2 auburn haired ladies.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
It seems that I have been accurate in my assumptions of how the engine was operating all these years without gauges. I can make the exhaust gas temperatures spike to 1300° pretty easy, and I have been backing out of it correctly, all this time.

It was a booger for them to replace the doughnuts and exhaust manifold gaskets. They had to cut my downpipe out of the way before they could remove the up-pipes. They just happened to have a qualified welder on-site to put the down pipe back together. I wanted to gut the butterfly valve, but didn't have time this weekend, and part of the problem was that the butterfly valve chipped a piece out of the collecter on the down pipe, so I had to scavenge another pipe and weld the collector end on my down pipe.

I found that I can push 30psi of boost. Don't know how high it is supposed to go.

Didn't have time to install the tranny cooler, running without one right now, other than the one in the bottom pan of the radiator. Tranny temp was running about 150° down the interstate, and while idling in the driveway, after driving from LaVergne, it was at 180°.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good. How much weight will you be pulling because I assume that the numbers you just gathered were unloaded correct?

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good. How much weight will you be pulling because I assume that the numbers you just gathered were unloaded correct?

Truck grosses at over 10,000lbs on a daily basis. Weight stays on the truck constantly.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If youre on a long hard pull, try to feather the throttle to keep your boost around 25 psi or so. I too can peg it at 36 psi but I know our turbo thrust bearings(washers) are short lived in that 30+ range.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a booger for them to replace the doughnuts and exhaust manifold gaskets. They had to cut my downpipe out of the way before they could remove the up-pipes. They just happened to have a qualified welder on-site to put the down pipe back together. I wanted to gut the butterfly valve, but didn't have time this weekend, and part of the problem was that the butterfly valve chipped a piece out of the collecter on the down pipe, so I had to scavenge another pipe and weld the collector end on my down pipe.

I found that I can push 30psi of boost. Don't know how high it is supposed to go.

sorry but this has been buggin me a bit and i just cant leave it alone.sorry to be a buzz kill but i gotta speak my mind here.

exhaust manifold gaskets?PSDs dont have them nor are they made that i know of from ford or aftermarket.

they had to cut your downpipe to get the up pipes out?why not just remove the down pipe?there is no need to remove it to do upipe gaskets anyways.remove the turbo and drivers side uppipe and pull the splitter off the passengers side unless your up pipes had a nasty groove worn into them from the donuts.but still no need to mess with the downpipe.

not enough time to gut the EBPV?the turbo is off.it takes a whole 5 minutes to gut itand a whole 10 minutes to pull the actuator out cut it off,tap the hole for a pipe plug,stick the end of the actuator back in and put the cap and circlip back in.

never heard about or seen the valve chip a downpipe.sounds mor like they had the flange ainst the valve while try to cut the down pipe to get it for no reason.a quick blob job with the welder and a reshape with a grinder would have fixed that in about 5 minutes as well.

now for some usefull info.keep your boost around or below 26PSI and your turbo will be happy.going above that for extended periods will wipe the thrust bearing out as stroker mentioned.im on my 3rd turbo and gettin ready to find a fourth.someday ill be able to afford a bigger turbo but for now cheap stockers will have to do.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
sorry but this has been buggin me a bit and i just cant leave it alone.sorry to be a buzz kill but i gotta speak my mind here.

exhaust manifold gaskets?PSDs dont have them nor are they made that i know of from ford or aftermarket.

they had to cut your downpipe to get the up pipes out?why not just remove the down pipe?there is no need to remove it to do upipe gaskets anyways.remove the turbo and drivers side uppipe and pull the splitter off the passengers side unless your up pipes had a nasty groove worn into them from the donuts.but still no need to mess with the downpipe.

What exactly are YOU using between the exhaust manifold and the head for sealing purposes? My exhaust manifolds were leaking at the rear-most cylinders on both sides, soot blowing by.

Up-pipe donut gaskets were shot also. I'll admit that the guys working on the truck are not that experienced with the OBS trucks, they told me that they preferred the 99 and up trucks. No problem for me. They did not pull the turbo, which was probably not a wise choice on their part, but they said they could get to the up-pipes without doing it. Not my call, theirs. The down pipe would not come apart, after being on the truck for over 6 years, so I told them to cut to their hearts content, and get it out of the way because I can weld up whatever they can cut up.:D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im useing nothing between my manifolds and heads just like it was from the factory.

i wont get into the preference between OBS and SD they have as it will get very messy.

but heres a picture of my engine in the truck with the turbo out and my downpipe is still in place.click on the pictures link in my signature and you will also find a picture of my engine with the Y collector off the up pipes but you wont see the downpipe in the picture but it is still in the truck.

You must be registered for see images

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and here are a few pictures of my new motor that i put in last year.no gaskets in it

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 10
  • motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 7
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 7

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
So if these engines don't use gaskets, where did they get the gaskets that are on my engine?

I'll admit to being ignorant about a lot of things, but sealing against leaks is what I do for a living, and a gasket is a requirement, in most cases.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont know where they got them,may have been through the guys that make the headers for the SDs.i tried to get gaskets cuz i like useing gaskets where ever possible but could not find them through any of my sources:confused:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if these engines don't use gaskets, where did they get the gaskets that are on my engine?

I'll admit to being ignorant about a lot of things, but sealing against leaks is what I do for a living, and a gasket is a requirement, in most cases.

What Rich is saying is they are not used from the factory.

IIRC the IDI did use them but the PSD in both the OBS and SD did'nt. The PSD relies on straight machined surfaces to seal them up and yes exhaust gaskets ARE available for the PSD......Felpro #MS93489 available from Advance Auto Parts, NAPA MS-16314 and I'm sure there are others.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes exhaust gaskets ARE available for the PSD......Felpro #MS93489 available from Advance Auto Parts, NAPA MS-16314 and I'm sure there are others.

the advance stores that i deal with couldnt find them as well as the napa,autozone,carquest and ford.:confused: