Truck cut off on me today?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I started it this morning and headed out to enjoy the day. Pulled on to the highway had it in second got to about 35 or 40 and it felt like something let loose? i quick put it in drive and it was not running all lights on so i shift to neutral then coast to a wide spot on the shoulder. No go had to call my buddy with the rollback. fuel pump is working, IP solenoid is working, but i can't see fuel at the injectors? to top it off DSL went out so I'm stuck with dial up!-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss

94johnh

Reaction score
when it rains...
Sounds like you broke the ip shaft..

john

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to tell is to pull the IP off, and try to rotate it manaully. If it makes sort of a gear rollover type noise, then the shaft is intact. If you have almost no resistance and no noise you broke the shaft. Dirtleg took the gov. cover off and found that the pump that worked had stuff under there moving. I bet you could also take the cover where the fuel delivery screw is off and rotate the pump. if the shaft is intact the screw should come in and out of view. It should have no reaction if the shaft is busted or sheared. Sorry to hear about it.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
well that is just great. :backoff why do they break? :mad: i got me a used one off ebay $97.99 shipped to me, can i rebuild mine? or use it for a core for a moose pump? could it by chance be the inlet cloged? and still no DSL at my house but work is up and running after I had to reboot everything......

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use it for a core, but keep in mind that Moose Pumps are rebuilds and not exchanges, so you'd end up buying that shaft as a part which would add to the cost of the rebuild.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. LOL Seriously, I don't know, but call any Stanadyne rebuilder and they can tell you. Pump parts are not cheap, due largely to the highly specialized nature of them, and the high tolerances maintained throughout. You'd really be better off using your best pump as a core for a Moose Pump, rather than your worst one.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. LOL Seriously, I don't know, but call any Stanadyne rebuilder and they can tell you. Pump parts are not cheap, due largely to the highly specialized nature of them, and the high tolerances maintained throughout. You'd really be better off using your best pump as a core for a Moose Pump, rather than your worst one.

If I've got one? is there a screen in the input line?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If I've got one? is there a screen in the input line?

Yes there is one.
What makes You think the shaft is broken? So many things could be wrong and have nothing to do with the IP. No fuel, Clogged fuel filter, clogged IP inlet screen, bent hose, etc.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Do your basic checks before you jump to an expensive conclusion.....Correct fuel pressure to the IP pump, fuel to any of the injectors and etc...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I know I'm just planning for the worst and hoping for the best?

Yes there is one.
What makes You think the shaft is broken? So many things could be wrong and have nothing to do with the IP. No fuel, Clogged fuel filter, clogged IP inlet screen, bent hose, etc.

Just bought fresh fuel, changed the filters. hoses look good, will check inlet screen. By the way how do i do this?

Do your basic checks before you jump to an expensive conclusion.....Correct fuel pressure to the IP pump, fuel to any of the injectors and etc...

Turned it over a few times and it filled half a 2 liter, took #2 and #4 loose no fuel at all.

Didn't get to work on it today just took the wifes truck. I guess i need to go get that other truck.

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I figured i had it coming to the filter from the pump so it must be going to th IP? If not why? and where should i look? I'm going to pull the pump in the next day or two.

and yes i do have fuel to the pump.

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
bad news!

Well i got the dryer fixed $28, but my truck is a different story, got the pump off tonight and boy is the inlet screen dirty i cleaned it up and then went to look at the accesse cover on the side. i can see a hole but when i turn the shaft i don't see any movement
:fan::frustrate