Treadwright Retread Failure at 75 MPH

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
those cracks look pretty serious. if it was like that before the tire blew i would of done something about it. thats scary looking..

Im glad no one was hurt and you didnt wreck your truck.

i still wouldnt run them in the front of a freeway bound truck. it would look funny to have 2 different tires unless you can run aggressive re-treads in the back of a dually with highway up front.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing why they mostly use BFG carcasses. I'm anti BFG, I've have yet to see one that doesn't have a cracking issue in the treads and sidewalls on the last 1/3 of its life and they just don't seem to last long enough. I've run toyos and nittos after my first set of bfgs went bald in 25k. My toyos ran till almost 50 and my nittos are almost to that on my Tahoe. I rotate regularly, don't take corners fast, and keep the pressure up. I have a set of kumho road ventures a/ts on my prerunner ranger and they have 10k on them and they barely look used. Might try them next on the heavier Tahoe and see how the work.

randomq

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting 255/85's on it. Thoughts?

Thad

I LOVE my KM2's in this size. I can't say enough good things about them. They run smooth, quiet, carry weight well and they grip like crazy. I've only put the truck in 4x4 once since I put them on. With my Dunlops I was in 4x4 at least once a week.

I'm looking forward to trying them in the snow and that outer banks sugar sand.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Treadwrights because they are cheap. So far, I have 3 of their tires still installed and one of them had to be replaced because it had a "bubble" in the tread. That having been said, the tire that I replaced the TW with also eventually developed a bubble and the one that's there now wore out quick. I'm not so sure it isn't some kind of issue with that corner on my truck. As far as the OP's case, I'm not sure what happened, but it sure would be nice to get to the bottom of it. I'm just glad neither you nor the truck were hurt, that's what's most important.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Well, I ended up just going out and buying 285/75R16 BFG AT's. This is my third set so I know what I am getting.

I was really hoping the Treadwrights would be good for the long haul but we'll see. I plan to run the two new ones I have (no cracking or imperfections) on my 87 F250. Time will tell if they have any issues. At least on that rig if the tire goes out I won't be goin more than 55 mph and I coundn't care less if it damages the truck.

Thad

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Not to play devil's advocate here, but isn't it still illegal to run retreads on a steer axle ?
Even if it isn't, after all the experience i've had with the things on big trucks, you wouldn't catch me running the things anywhere critical. Most truck companies quit fooling with the things years ago except in the trailer position due to all the damage they cause ( and then it's a gamble that the capis going to get thrown clear of the trailer since it's already at the rear of the vehicle, where a driver throwing a cap will tear out the trailer belly support ribs and go right through the floor. I've had that happen a number of times, just plain scary)

w4dsb

Reaction score
i have never used tread wrights but i thought about it. after calculating shipping and installing it is as cheap to buy local new tires.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill tell you why it blew its that piece of **** BFG casing. they do not make a good tire anymore. Buddy has gone thru 3 sets on his Xterra under warranty in 3 years and I am driving it today and another one is shaking.

Black dawg

Reaction score
do they put a new date on the casing? I have seen lots of seperated tires less than 5 years old lately.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably made from used thailand condoms.

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing why they mostly use BFG carcasses. I'm anti BFG, I've have yet to see one that doesn't have a cracking issue in the treads and sidewalls on the last 1/3 of its life and they just don't seem to last long enough. . .
Well, the 10-year-old BFGs that I just replaced on my truck (still had some usable tread, but tire stores won't service them now that they are older than 10 years old) looked much better than many 2-3 year-old tires that I see these days - virtually no sidewall cracking at all. I don't know the history of my truck - it could have been garaged which would minimize the amount of UV damage to the sidewalls.

Too many of these new tires do not seem to have the proper additives in the rubber and seem to crack prematurely. I have seen this with many brands, especially the lower-end tires (which are all made offshore now, primarily in China). It's scary! Back when I was in high school 25 years ago, I bought the cheapest new tires that I could - they were made in America, and were bias ply! This matched the OEM tires that came on my 1968 Fury, a car that I bought for $125 (I think the full set of tires cost more than I paid for the car!).

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 10 year old BFG,s are fine, its the 5 and 6 ish ones that are horrid.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Glad no one was hurt, and damage to the truck was minimal.
For those of you that blame this solely on being a retread, ****** tires blow out as well, attached is a picture of a ****** Cooper that was on the rear of an 01 Ford Taurus, had less than 3,000 miles on it and had been on the car for less than 3 months (my dad doesn't drive much).
You must be registered for see images attach

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Glad no one was hurt, and damage to the truck was minimal.
For those of you that blame this solely on being a retread, ****** tires blow out as well, attached is a picture of a ****** Cooper that was on the rear of an 01 Ford Taurus, had less than 3,000 miles on it and had been on the car for less than 3 months (my dad doesn't drive much).
You must be registered for see images attach

ANY steel belted radial can do that with no warning and for no reason. This is why I run fabric radials on my cars and will likely be switching over to bias ply for my truck now that Midnight Rider ( least I think it was him ) posted up some nice ones

Years ago back when i was in mechanic school, I had an instructop who was a retired big wig from the SAE and he had a copy of a government report that had been sent out to all the law enforcement agencies in teh country advising them NOT to purchase steel belted radial tires as they had a nasty habit of exploding at speeds over 45 mph for no reason whatsoever. The report was kept secret from the genera public because Michilin had completely retooled for radials only and would have gone out of business. so public safety was thrown by the wayside for the benefit of one manufacturer ( and likely large political contributor )

THis isn't really rocket science, take a piece of wire and bend it back and forth enough times and what happens??? well duh.. it breaks. You run radials at their recomended pressures that are always underinflated where the sidewal overextends on bumps and curves and eventually , the internal structure ends up with a sidewall that looks just like that picture. Sometimes it doesn't take that long ,for varrying reasons like a tire that's been on the shelf for a long time can be put on new but the rubber will be weak and won't hold it up as well so the strands of steel wire can break free easier. If you have an even remotely dry steel radial, i.e. cracks showing, you are on borrowed time, because there is nothing to hold teh wire together

I had put a new steer tire on during a trip last year while in iowa, I swapped out my spare that still had supposedly 2 good years left on it , it was a new tire. I only made it as far as St Louis before blowing out the thing in the drivers steer position as in the entire thing was capped and the cap passed us in a full circle, while crossing a bridge over teh Mississippi. THank goodness for onboard air system and air tools ;Sweet