Treadwright Retread Failure at 75 MPH

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Well after 30,000 miles I had a Treadwright tire fail at 75 mph on my 2003. No injury to the passengers but some minor damage to the wheel well.

Truck was not loaded at the time of failure. The tire was located on the drivers front side. Prior to failure I noticed a vibration and within 30 seconds the tire failed. I also started to notice small cracks in the tire. Should have pulled over but the decision making time was limited...and I chose wrong.

At this point I have lost faith in retreads but not certain if there is more to it than the tire.

I plan to go and buy a new set of BFGs or Cooper tires tomorrow. Can't justify saving a few hundred dollars when it could have been my wife driving the pickup...

I am thinking of putting 255/85's on it. Thoughts?

Thad

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for the report on the retreads. I'm thinking about running a set on my old plow truck that get 1,000 miles a year, but have decided no on the "good truck"

Appreciate letting us know your experiences.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes. Thanks for your sharing your experience. You are the 1st I have heard of with an issue with the treadwrights

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
thanks for posting glad everyone is alright, i was considering them as well on my 550 as winter tires for plowing as well since 19.5s are $$$

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Cincinnati Guy,
No warranty after 2 years or 24,000 miles. I have had mine over 3 years and 30,000 ish miles (these tires were on my 94 F350 prior to this).

Brad,
Thats exactly the resaon I posted. I have not read anything negative about these tires. I was really an advocate of the company but now I am not certain.

I did just make a 800 mile trip the day prior so that may bee part of it. I am slightly ashamed to say that I did notice some cracking in the tread on the outer portion of the sidewall but didn't think much of it. None of the other tires have any such cracks.

I think I will go with a set of BFG A/T but just don't know yet.

Thad

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still contact TW and let them know. This is not the only forum they are evaluated in and perhaps in wanting to continue their reputation of excellent service they would like the opportunity to go the extra mile.

A friend on the 4 wheeling board recieved 4 new TW's after noticing sidewall to carcass cracks. Althought they were still within the warranty they shipped him a fresh set, did not charge shipping nor did they request any of the defective tires.

In a similar example, I had a 7 year old LR throw the tread, gutting
the filler necks and beating my bed severely. The tire store cut the Trucks owner a very generous check.

Moral? It never hurts to ask.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Here is the blown out area of the tire:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is another view and if you look close you can see the cracks in the rubber...(shame on me for not being more attentive):

This is the minor damage (really it just pulled the mud flap and the sheet metal is bent):

This is the new tire that has been on the rig for a few months now:

If you guys are curious or have any questions just ask. I want to be fair to Treadwright and not have people shy away from their products based on my experience. Whos knows why it failed?

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
There is cracking only where the recap meets the carcass of the used tire. No cracking on the tread itself...(not sure if I explained it clearly?)

Not sure what caused the blowout. I could have been several factors.

Thad

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Id still contact tread-wright, just to let them know, if its something in there manufacturing process or on your part IE: Pressure, or hit something.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I called Treadwright this morning. I am going to send them the pictures of the blowout. Told her straightout I wasn't looking for free/discounted tires. Just wanted her to know about my situation. She was more than happy to get the pictures. She told me that they would use the pictures for training purposes.

Tires were always run at 60 psi and I didn't hit anything visible...

Thad

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for contact TW - they have prone to be a stand up company - sorry to hear you had an issue.

It's a little sad you didn't notice the cracking or think about what that was saying to you... Luckily it didn't look like there was much damage. I look over my truck all of the time -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online