Need help with CDR grommet (Rubber piece) on 92 7.3L ATS Turbo setup

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His pic is the ATS 093 setup.
Factory ford used a plate with a nipple and a 1 inch hose to the air cleaner.
The ford hose is also out of production. I have some NOS ones.
The flanged rubber piece I have 7 of and after he buys one ill have 6 and will likely keep them.
But it never hurts to ask.
Edit: My ATS tube is 14 years in service so they last well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Could you weld a nipple of some sort to your plate? That way you could sandwich the small seal between that and the CDR. Then you could slide the rubber sleeve over the nipple.

atc92

Reaction score
Could you weld a nipple of some sort to your plate? That way you could sandwich the small seal between that and the CDR. Then you could slide the rubber sleeve over the nipple.
Ill try to source a factory ford flange, I did cut the nipple off the old cdr and its perfect for welding onto the plate. As a last resort I will make a backup setup and store it away in the idi bin for future use. I need to work on the fuel lines next!

on a side note, anyone know what the factory garrett turbo wastegate was set to from the factory? I have a boost gauge as the old one that came with the truck was disconnected (had a little oil in the nylon reference line. I have a new attometer gauge that I will run with silicon).

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory Turbo trucks would make 8-10 psi. ATS kits made 10-15 depending on how much the fuel was turned up.

As for welding the nipple on, it may be easier to silver solder or gas weld on such thin material but if you’re good at it welding will work fine too.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 7 of and after he buys one ill have 6 and will likely keep them.
But it never hurts to ask.
Edit: My ATS tube is 14 years in service so they last well.
6 x 14 = 84 years. Your planning on keeping you rig a little while? :joker:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As for welding the nipple on, it may be easier to silver solder or gas weld on such thin material but if you’re good at it welding will work fine too.
Just for the record, I wasn't talking about welding a nipple to the CDR. Just to the plate that it bolts to.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have plates and tubing to make the factory style part.

atc92

Reaction score
Thanks guys , Russ has the part I need. I will see how it goes. I have other small issues I need to address with this setup. It has 130K miles so I think fuel injectors and return lines are next. I have a strange idle issue where it will idle low like 100 rpms but still run when driving. Im not sure if my tach is accurate or what? Im assaying I have air intrusions at idle or maybe a vacuum leak? Not sure what else would cause that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Probably a bad reading from the tach. I don't think that our engines will run at that low RPM. The starter is supposed to turn it over faster than that.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Thanks guys , Russ has the part I need. I will see how it goes. I have other small issues I need to address with this setup. It has 130K miles so I think fuel injectors and return lines are next. I have a strange idle issue where it will idle low like 100 rpms but still run when driving. Im not sure if my tach is accurate or what? Im assaying I have air intrusions at idle or maybe a vacuum leak? Not sure what else would cause that.
Ditto on I don’t think it will idle at 100rpm. So likely your Tach system is not working right. If you have a timing device you can verify the rpm Tach reading using that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online