Transmission

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I prefer a standard trans but I have a built BTS E4OD trans and love it. Some feel an auto is easier to drive and some feel a standard is easier to drive. Including my new Gear Vendors coupled to my Brians Truck Shop built E4OD I have right at $8800.00 in that transcookoo. I don't feel a built ZF 5 speed will cost that amount but really no expert in them either. Which is more expensive. Probably the built BTS with the gv.. But I end up with 8 forard gears too. Hang a gv behind a ZF5 speed and you have 10 forward gears...;Sweet:D

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is 100% up to you. If you typically like one over the other, you won't be happy if you get the wrong one.

I'm not in 100% agreement with Gary on the GV behind a manual. With a close ratio diesel manual you will not really have 10 gears. If you can't reach 20 mph in first, you can't use it until after second gear. Then, the gear ratios are so close together you may or may not find the extra couple you get very useful. If you have a wide ratio trans, you should be able to use it in between all gears but the 1-2 since first is so low you could never exceed the 20 mph cut-out speed. Everything is a balancing act.
Travis..

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into the built autos until I see the prices then told my self a 5speed would prob be better lol I was looking for a zf5 to begin with but auto does a lot better burn outs and is faster lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with an auto, other than the rebuild price....BTS(Brian's teuck shop), here in arkansas, builds a killer E4od, but it was way out of my price range. I couldn't justify a $4000 transmission in a truck I just hught for 1000, so I went with a zf5.

I also really like to tow with my 5 speed, but I feel like it needs some gears in between. My ideal setup would be my 5 speed with a brownie over/under box behind it like Robert(RLDSL) has in his truck. Best of both worlds with higher or lower gears.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into the built autos until I see the prices then told my self a 5speed would prob be better lol I was looking for a zf5 to begin with but auto does a lot better burn outs and is faster lol

AH HA, there it is. If you want a toy that you can launch hard and have fast shifts, an auto is probably what you want. Especially if you intend to drag race it. If you want a truck to do work (tow rig duties, etc), I personally prefer a manual.
Travis..

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer my ZF5, never been a fan of an auto, especially in a truck larger then a mid size. Every CAT truck I've ever drivin has been auto, and I've seen the transmissions go out in those, my dad's 99.5 F250 is sitting right now,waiting on another transmission.

My theory on autos in diesels is...they've come a long way in pick ups since they were so easy to let me down in the '90's, but if you want something to work right,it's gonna cost you.
Nothing is perfect,including the ZF5, but as long as you keep oil in it,and don't ride the clutch, you'll be ok (forget about speed shifting, or even shifting really fast, she doesn't like it).

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind shifting, and maybe the noisy solid flywheel, the ZF5 is pretty hard to beat, and definitely will cost less and should net better mileage. I've had both transmissions and both can be built to be bulletproof and long lasting, but hard to argue for the auto when you throw the price variable into your equation.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also depends on your driving conditions as well. If you spend a considerable amount of time doing real work off road, many would say an auto is easier to work with, easier to control, how ever you want to say it. But if your towing heavy on the street all day zfs are killer, but in the end like everyone Said, it's mostly your preference

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
For me depends on the application. Standard for a classic ride. My daily drivers have autos. After driving many trucks with ZF5s for years I became a E4/4R100 fan.:D Nothing like manual shifting a E4 at WOT.:rotflmao

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is my daily driver right now and is a auto, trans had 56,*** miles on it and has had torque converter shudder every now and again when the tq locks has been run kinda hard last 3-4 thousand miles tho loaded heavy and drove by a flat footed teenager lol I can't decided to sell and get a PSD or build the idi but ik the e4od won't

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used to drive trucks with standard transmissions........then i became middle aged and got wise.......or just sick of all the shifting,whichever you prefer lmao.
1 vote for E40D w/ transgo kit.wouldn't change a thing about either of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online