Transmission question, 1992 E350 IDI E4OD

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1992 E350 diesel van with no transmission. One wrecking yard told me that I could use a 1992-1994 transmission. I don't know the differences between the different years of transmissions. I think I found a C6 from behind a 1986 IDI diesel. Will this bolt up to the adapter or is it different than a 7.3 IDI?

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi crazytwo-

I bought an 1985 idi Van with a blown tranny. It had a C6 for diesel in it, that's 3 speeds, NO overdrive so highway
driving is not very economical. It will be worth your time to find a DIESEL E4OD, which is a 4 speed with overdrive.
Your van already (or should already,) have the electronic controller, wires and plugs for the E4OD. The C6 is NOT
electronic and you will need to grab a lot of other parts like the kick-down mechanism and the shifter is also pretty
different for the C6.

When shopping for the E4OD (if you choose that direction) be sure to find out if the trans has been "upgraded" to
post-1995 updates, which are important hard part upgrades (not too expensive,) that will make the E4OD last like
it should.

C6 that was OEM in mine:
You must be registered for see images attach

Look for the E4OD case on the right, note the gussets in the upper corners, and the open bottom:
You must be registered for see images attach

Be sure to get the right Torque Converter, and Cross Member/Rear Mount, they are different for C6 vs E4!

Here is the story on mine:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...E4OD-on-the-outside-wait-a-minute!&highlight=

I am close to finally road testing it as I am finishing up a 4WD conversion on the van as well (kept me from driving
it much.)

Hope this helps!
Best regards,
George

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I am aware of OD, non-OD, 3 sp, 4 sp differences. I just want something in there so it can be moved. I think I found a 6 with 20K miles on it for $200. I can worry about the E4OD later when I find one. I don't want to be into the trans $1500-2000 before I know what I will do with it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need flywheel and spacer for c6 as well as probanly a new driveshaft etc etc...c6 shorter n e4od

Good luck

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the differences between all the years of E4OD transmissions?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't want a c6 trans for anything other than a toy or yard/plow truck.they may be cheap to buy/reman but they're expensive to operate.besides,your all setup for an E40D (or should be.)

you can use a 89-94 idi diesel trans.(preferably skipping '89)

you could also use a 94-97 psd diesel trans,using a 4 stud/diesel torque converter rather than the 6 stud it will come with,and the earlier 89-94 solenoid pack.

you could also use the 99-03 e40d (renamed to 4r100) using the above changes along with the earlier pump and e40d shift linkage.

you cannot use any gas e40d transmissions.
you cannot use a 4wd trans in place of a 2wd trans,unless you want to bolt in a t-case (even without a front axle,this would gain you low range.)
you cannot use a 2wd trans in place of a 4wd trans (unless you want to lose 4wd and low range lol.)

edit.
i always forget about the early cases having speedo provisions.however,in your case,the '92 gets it's speed from the rear end.
those with 2wd e40d pre-'92 are stuck with the early e40d cases for the speedo in the tail housing.
that info is based on pickups too.im clueless on vans.

Last edited:

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through this, but the other way, Older van using new trans. FORDF250HDXLT is right on
the money. In addition is using the right MLPS, oh man, that was a PITA. For the C6, it will be
looking for a NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) signal so you can start the engine, so possibly you could
jumper those two wires. There were two other wires relating to the Back Up lights that run
through the MLPS/Range/NSS sensor.

Shift linkage will have to be fabricated, NO bolt in available, they cross-overs operate differently.

I found a 4 bolt 3-disc Torque Convertor that fits the E4OD. You might be able to find the opposite
not sure. Rear Trans mount is about 4 inches forward on the C6 (I think,) and the rubber mount
is different.

The 1992 E350 idi ECC is rudimentary, so you might be able to jumper some of the signals, not
sure on the VSS though. 7.3 should be able to have any signals bypassed, I just don't know about
that part. I figure it the trans is pulled, and you can start and run right now, then you can keep
doing that, and any speedo input is not going to screw your controller up since the C6 will not
offer any parameters.

I'm still pretty fresh from doing this (reversed,) and there was a bit of head-scratching to get it
right like it belonged there.

The E4OD cases (for DIESEL) interchange internally, except for the shift servo, which is a pretty
cheap part if that needs to be changed. I have a feeling there are quite a few Diesel case transmissions
circulating out there with Gas internals, mine was that way when I bought it, but I rebuilt and
upgraded the whole thing, so overcame that issue.

Even the dipstick tube was a bit of fabrication, you should try to get that from the C6 you are
getting if it is from a Diesel Van.

Couple other things, but can write them out just yet, I'll revisit this.

Best regards,
George

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's the type of info I was looking for. The wrecking yard gave me 2 1/2 model years since it was probably easier than explaining what you told me. This opens up my search parameters. Awesome.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That said, I think the most cost-effective, least head-scratching installation will be an E4OD from
a diesel E4OD 2wd.

Here's one in Rocklin (I'm not associated with it.) (After ad expires, shows a '96 E4OD from Diesel
PS, 2WD, w/6 bolt Torque Converter all for $300.)

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/5311508922.html

Just throwing ideas out there...

Best regards,
George

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i actually have a PSD 2wd auto tranny that im looking to get rid of.
with converter. ran when pulled from what i was told, been under a tarp for a year in my backyard.
im selling it as a core. $100
dont know if it will work for you...
im in 94561

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That said, I think the most cost-effective, least head-scratching installation will be an E4OD from
a diesel E4OD 2wd.

Here's one in Rocklin (I'm not associated with it.) (After ad expires, shows a '96 E4OD from Diesel
PS, 2WD, w/6 bolt Torque Converter all for $300.)

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/5311508922.html

Just throwing ideas out there...

Best regards,
George

I saw that one. Looks like it needs a rebuild.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually have a PSD 2wd auto tranny that im looking to get rid of.
with converter. ran when pulled from what i was told, been under a tarp for a year in my backyard.
im selling it as a core. $100
dont know if it will work for you...
im in 94561

That might work. Do you know what year it came out of?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill count the TQ bolts tomorrow.
ill never use it...
needs to go to someone before it goes to shat!

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great connection!

Look also for, shift lever coming out of trans, MLPS around said shift lever, 100,000 mi warranty:rotflmao

Torque converter will need to match and also the Servo Pack plug and MLPS/Range Sensor plug must match your van.
(Only a two types of each of these)

Great part is post-1995, so factory did all the critical internal upgrades to it!;Sweet
Better part is it's only a c-note!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you can't beat that.all the upgrades of the '95+ and cheap! if it doesn't work,oh well it was worth a shot lol.will cost ya more to fill it up with lube.:D
you'll need a 4 stud/idi converter and the '89-94 solenoid pack.the range sensor (MLPS) you'll just use your old one.if the old pack in your trans is ok.just use that.the converter should be replaced in a failed trans.
i tossed one of these in log truck (with her oem trans,that im still squeaking some more mileage out of.) http://www.ebay.com/itm/E4OD-7-3L-6...ash=item3a87110ca8:g:MFEAAOSwk5FUy-m3&vxp=mtr

Last edited: