Transmission help!!

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something goofy is up with the trans itself OR the torque converter...

Rewind about 3months ago. My original 215k mile E4OD blew it's front seal (puked fluid everywhere). So I went out and bought a LOW 27k mile E4OD from a '97 PSD truck. Took my original '92's shift pack and MLPS sensor from the old trans and put it onto the '97's. I also installed a B&M Shift Improver while I had the trans apart. Since it was out, I went ahead and bought a new torque converter. Also did U-joint's since it was apart. Get it back together and fill it with Mercon V (100 dollars worth!). Truck shift's fine, a bit hard due to the shift kit but works great. Towed with it a few times and all seemed gravy.

Come up to a few weeks ago, truck developed sorta a "click". ONLY on deceleration/coasting, it felt like something was trying to catch. Fast foward to now and it's developed into a grinding/ratcheting sound. -cuss

I've checked the fluid, still full and pink. Temp never goes over 180 degree's, still has all 4 forward gears and reverse, doesn't slip at all, no blinking O/D light, lockup of the torque converter still works.

Whats weird though is if I get back onto the throttle, it goes away. If I two-foot it coming up to a stoplight/stop sign (keep the revs up around 1500 while applying the brakes), it doesn't do it.

I'm VERY lost at what could be the problem. :mad:

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure its in the trans? That sounds u jointish/rearend.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure its in the trans? That sounds u jointish/rearend.

I don't THINK it's the rear, but I will try popping it into neutral while rolling and seeing if the noise goes away or not.

Only reason I say trans is cause it sounds like it's coming right from under the trans tunnel.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, but it's all connectred to the trans, and the trans is connected to the truck right there. I had an ugly u joint I could have sworn was an output bearing, it was the axle side u joint.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the dust cover off and check the nuts (4) on the TC, if you reused the nuts they can come loose, they are self locking, if there loose, clean with brake cleaner and use Blue LocTite when replacing. If they where loose, the holes could be elongated in the flex plate. Torque to 30 ft/lbs., nuts are 13mm socket.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, but it's all connectred to the trans, and the trans is connected to the truck right there. I had an ugly u joint I could have sworn was an output bearing, it was the axle side u joint.

Ok it still does it even if I throw the trans in neutral. Though if I rev it just a bit (to say 1100rpm) it'll go away.

OldBull, I will be checking that as soon as I get a chance. That could be the noise.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your flex plate for cracks while your at it.
I had one crack on me and it made a grinding/clicking noise.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flex plate seems like a possibility. I managed to blow mine out a few months ago and it caused a loud clanking sound under the right conditions.

Other than the valve body mod/solenoid swap, was there anything else you did to the internals?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok it still does it even if I throw the trans in neutral. Though if I rev it just a bit (to say 1100rpm) it'll go away.

OldBull, I will be checking that as soon as I get a chance. That could be the noise.

Just don't leave it go too long checking those nuts. Just cost me $4000 for the same thing. Nuts loose.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flex plate seems like a possibility. I managed to blow mine out a few months ago and it caused a loud clanking sound under the right conditions.

Other than the valve body mod/solenoid swap, was there anything else you did to the internals?

Nope. Like I said, at first it drove like gravy nothing was wrong.

Here's a video I made to help show the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wymc60YbBMo

fordhorse

Reaction score
check your flex plate really good this is alot like when mine went out you may need to pull the trans back to see the cracks mine broke out the center you could barely see it cause most of it was under the spacer
You must be registered for see images attach

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your flex plate really good this is alot like when mine went out you may need to pull the trans back to see the cracks mine broke out the center you could barely see it cause most of it was under the spacer
You must be registered for see images attach

Did you watch the video?

I mean if the trans has to come out thats fine, I'm just trying to figure out what the noise is to begin with.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about engine braking? And if you disable the overdrive? (The idea is to force the coast clutch to grab).

Do you feel any sort of vibration in the seat, or shifter lever?

First thing I could say is fix the tach sensor but dang, I never heard a bad one causing that!

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about engine braking? And if you disable the overdrive? (The idea is to force the coast clutch to grab).

Do you feel any sort of vibration in the seat, or shifter lever?

First thing I could say is fix the tach sensor but dang, I never heard a bad one causing that!

There really isn't any engine braking honestly. Only time I've felt some is if I lock out O/D going down hills. Most of the time (with O/D on) it just goes down to idle.

I don't feel any vibration neither in the seat or shifter. Yea, the tach sensor is on my list of things to fix.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
There really isn't any engine braking honestly. Only time I've felt some is if I lock out O/D going down hills. Most of the time (with O/D on) it just goes down to idle.

I don't feel any vibration neither in the seat or shifter. Yea, the tach sensor is on my list of things to fix.

This the normal tranny function. The coast clutch is applied in third (OD Off). The coast clutch will release in fourth allowing the tranny to coast.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online