Transmission help!!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coast clutch would also be applied in any manual low gear (2 or 1). I take it engine braking in second or first does work then?

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coast clutch would also be applied in any manual low gear (2 or 1). I take it engine braking in second or first does work then?

It doesn't work, top of manual 2nd if i let off it makes the medal noise.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Most likely the coast clutch snap ring popped out of its groove. Very common problem with this transmission. The fix is a special snap ring that gets fitted into the drum.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the coast clutch snap ring popped out of its groove. Very common problem with this transmission. The fix is a special snap ring that gets fitted into the drum.

Well the truck doesn't move any more. Would it be worth it to pull and fix or what?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If the vehicle doesn't move, the tranny will need to be rebuilt. The amount of carnage plus any updates will dictate the price of the rebuild.

Pull it and open it up. I would rebuild it. My opinion will be biased because I'm anti ZF.:rotflmao

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the vehicle doesn't move, the tranny will need to be rebuilt. The amount of carnage plus any updates will dictate the price of the rebuild.

Pull it and open it up. I would rebuild it. My opinion will be biased because I'm anti ZF.:rotflmao

It's the most updated trans, it's from a '97. I'm letting my friend rebuild it, has his own repair shop and does trans work daily.

Figure if he can build a GM 200R4 trans to hold up behind low 11 second buicks, he shouldn't have a problem redoing a E4OD. ;Really

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It's the most updated trans, it's from a '97. I'm letting my friend rebuild it, has his own repair shop and does trans work daily.

Figure if he can build a GM 200R4 trans to hold up behind low 11 second buicks, he shouldn't have a problem redoing a E4OD. ;Really

He should have no problems with the E4OD. It's like a C6 with an extra gear and a solenoid pack.:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah but a 2004r only has lock up electrics, not full shift timing. I do them all the time and I will never do another e4od.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike I kid you not, I winced when I heard that ratcheting sound. OUCH!LOL

Just imagine it under the truck while slowing down. :eek: When I first pulled it out, I decided to test the trans itself. I had someone in the cab and hold the rev's around 2k and I had my hand lightly on the output shaft.. Well i felt all the shift's and the trans itself didn't make a peep. So I figured it had to be in the case.

I'll take a broken t-case all day over a broken trans though! I already found a 1356 case for $100 on the local c-list. So probably will be calling them shorty. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online