Transmission Crossmember "Wings"

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Of how much importance are they and what will happen if I run without them?

I am building a custom tubular crossmember out of some plate and tubing to keep me out of trouble over the weekend.

See attached paint picture.....I have WAY too much time on my hands....but no $$ to take me anywheres lol.

Bigrigtech is getting his hands on a spare truck with the proper crossmember that I need, but whynot have fun and build one myself....it ain't gonna cost me much more than $40 if that, and it's good practice...I am getting out of shape.

You must be registered for see images attach

It might be overkill, but I would rather have overkill than dead on the side of the road.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nightmoose has been running since construction without them. I think if you never go off-road, you won't have a problem. Lord knows they are the antichrist when it comes time to pull a trans.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yep, a real ***** to get off if your in the rust belt. I made a crossmember out of 1/4" wall square tubing for my 91 and it bolted to the outside of the frame - worked excellent and easy to remove. I tried to get that truck this week but the stars where not aligned for me so hopefully I can see it next weekend. I want to see it before I bring the trailer, I would be surprised it it's still intact seeing as where it's been sitting for over a year...Let's just say the yard owner is less than a perfect being...LOL

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yep, a real ***** to get off if your in the rust belt. I made a crossmember out of 1/4" wall square tubing for my 91 and it bolted to the outside of the frame - worked excellent and easy to remove. I tried to get that truck this week but the stars where not aligned for me so hopefully I can see it next weekend. I want to see it before I bring the trailer, I would be surprised it it's still intact seeing as where it's been sitting for over a year...Let's just say the yard owner is less than a perfect being...LOL

LOL. Like I said before, if you get it and decide you don't want to or can't use that turbo gear, I will buy it cash!!!! My truck is getting turbo'ed if it kills me!!

Did you use 1/8" wall tubing? That's all I can get, but I figgure it's plenty strong.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i have been running with only one, on the pass side. driverside i have a custom loop built into the crossmember so the driveshaft clears it. driveshaft actually goes threw the crossmember.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, for $36 plus tax I was quoted in an email earlier, I am going to build this crossmember tomorrow.

I will take measurements for anyone looking to do the same. My drawing looks like it should clear the fromt driveshaft without issues, but I might factor in a little loop.....standby for updated drawing.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am going to CAREFULLY measure tomorrow and decide which crossmember to build. It will be one of the two I have drawn up here. If there is limited driveshaft clearance, I will build this one here.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now after replacing a ton of ford transmissions I find out that those wings aren't really necessary? Haha. Oh well I figure it doesn't take too much longer to put back in but I really should have used new bolts every time to make it go back together easier.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to CAREFULLY measure tomorrow and decide which crossmember to build. It will be one of the two I have drawn up here. If there is limited driveshaft clearance, I will build this one here.

Am I correct, you are the one that just swapped out a c6 for a ZF? If so, I just did that swap last year, and I had a donor truck. The lower long crossmember was the same for the c6 and the zf, I just had to use the rearward holes that are already in the lower "C"part of the frame. Even the rear rubber mount was the same.

The short upper pieces are different, the lower crossmember moved back about 1 inch, and the short upper pieces used the same frame holes, so they are offset a little more to match up.

I put the proper upper ones in, since Ford uses them all the way down the frame, and I was afraid the lower part of the "C" may eventually crack if I didn't. The frame is pretty thin.

If you happened to have swapped out a E4OD, then you can go and find a c6 lower crossmember and it will fit.

Black dawg

Reaction score
its funny how much noise they will make if the bolts dont get tightened properly. I feel they are needed. chevys dont use them. do you want your truck to be like a chevy?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i have been running with only one, on the pass side. driverside i have a custom loop built into the crossmember so the driveshaft clears it. driveshaft actually goes threw the crossmember.

any pics..i will need to do this as well...i honestly haven't even looked at it to see how i would mod the existing cross member. im sure i can figure out something but im just curious what you came up with.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Am I correct, you are the one that just swapped out a c6 for a ZF?

If you happened to have swapped out a E4OD, then you can go and find a c6 lower crossmember and it will fit.

I will have to keep this in mind about the C6 crossmember.

I went from an E4OD to a ZF...but the ZF truck was a 2wd FSuperduty...They cut that crossmember out, but I doubt it would have fit much better anyways.

Does the C6 crossmember have a drop in it? I had what I think was an M5ODR2 crossmember in it from an F150, and it held the back of the transmission too high. The F150 crossmember does not have a drop in it, it was jsut straight across, so I had it bolted up from the bottom of the frame rail....hanging by the bolts instead of resting on the inside of the frame rail.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726