Transmission Crossmember "Wings"

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to keep this in mind about the C6 crossmember.

Does the C6 crossmember have a drop in it?

The lower crossmember from the zf truck was exactly the same as the c6 lower crossmember. I lined them up side by side on the floor and verified this. I don't know about other models, both of these trucks were f250 diesels.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The lower crossmember from the zf truck was exactly the same as the c6 lower crossmember. I lined them up side by side on the floor and verified this. I don't know about other models, both of these trucks were f250 diesels.

There must be a difference bwtween the F150 and F250/350 crossmembers.

I got an F150 C6 crossmember and it's still not right. I bolted the C6 crossmember up from the bottom so it's hanging from the bolts again, but it's bang on for height and DS angle.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, are you dealing with 2wd or 4wd F150 crossmembers? Every 4wd one I have seen has the proper drop on the left side of the drive shaft and should work.
The M5OD crossmember and the ZF one are very much the same part. The one you want sits inside the bottom of the frame with a triangulation bracket on the pass side, and goes under the drivers side rail and bolts up to the side of the frame.
That said, you should be able to make a 4 speed/C6 crossmember work.

As for needing the triangulation brackets, I haven't seen a leaf sprung truck do it, but I have seen a couple F150's bend the frame just behind the radius arm brackets(pushed inward by the radius arms) when those triangulation brackets were left out.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hmm, are you dealing with 2wd or 4wd F150 crossmembers? Every 4wd one I have seen has the proper drop on the left side of the drive shaft and should work.
The M5OD crossmember and the ZF one are very much the same part. The one you want sits inside the bottom of the frame with a triangulation bracket on the pass side, and goes under the drivers side rail and bolts up to the side of the frame.
That said, you should be able to make a 4 speed/C6 crossmember work.

As for needing the triangulation brackets, I haven't seen a leaf sprung truck do it, but I have seen a couple F150's bend the frame just behind the radius arm brackets(pushed inward by the radius arms) when those triangulation brackets were left out.

I am not so sure this is a C6 crossmember then.

This one fits in side the frame and has wings on both sides (I did not install them)

It has a drop for the front driveshaft, as well as a little dip for the exhaust.

This crossmember had 2 bolts that held a rubber bushing in place on both sides, and a steel plate that the transmission mounts to...but I cut that piece off.

I can't find a pic of it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i will grap a pic of mine when i can. it isnt pretty, but it works. only thing i dont like is the "loop" can get hung up easly. i am gona redo the crossmember one day and take the driverside OVER the driveshaft.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are using a 2wd crossmember, all the 4wd ones I have seen side by side at the local shop that has a bunch of these trucks are all the same no matter what trans.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, .........The M5OD crossmember and the ZF one are very much the same part. The one you want sits inside the bottom of the frame with a triangulation bracket on the pass side, and goes under the drivers side rail and bolts up to the side of the frame.

Hmm...are you saying this one here? Mine's from ZF 5sp 5.8L a 89 CC F350 4x4
You must be registered for see images attach

Notice the spot that was repaired here watch for cracking

There hope this helps you out

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goofy, that sounds like an early 80's C6 4x4 crossmember, which as you have found out, won't work.
The one Riotwarrior posted up is the proper one for the application.
However, one like this could be made to work:
You must be registered for see images

If you don't have the dual cardan F350 front driveshaft though, the driveshaft may not clear. I know mine did but it was very close before I did my shackle reversal/spring swap... Now, I've got the crossmember hacked bigtime and it still touches... Need to re-fab so it's above the driveshaft.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hmm...are you saying this one here? Mine's from ZF 5sp 5.8L a 89 CC F350 4x4

Notice the spot that was repaired here watch for cracking

There hope this helps you out

THAT'S what I need right there!!!

Goofy, that sounds like an early 80's C6 4x4 crossmember, which as you have found out, won't work.
The one Riotwarrior posted up is the proper one for the application.
However, one like this could be made to work:

If you don't have the dual cardan F350 front driveshaft though, the driveshaft may not clear. I know mine did but it was very close before I did my shackle reversal/spring swap... Now, I've got the crossmember hacked bigtime and it still touches... Need to re-fab so it's above the driveshaft.

My current crossmember looks NOTHING like those at all lol. IIRC the C6 crossmember I have now IS out of an 85 or 86. I cut the bushings and top plate off it and bolted it in place and it seems to be the right height.

As far as the front shaft, I do have a DC shaft, BUT it is not installed. I don't have ANY front drivshaft installed because I still need to get it modified to fit...shortened and balanced since I did the ZF swap.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I thoght they were there to help strenghten the frame.
cant recall if I ever had them on my 92 or not, my others did.
lots of trucks Ive put trans or clutches in have modified ones, I took the tourch to the bottom ear and cut out a notch to slide the crossmember back from it. and never touched the top bolts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle