Transmission cooler?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Do I need to use the cooler built into the radiator? I have had several gas vehicles where I bypassed it without an issue. The reason I ask is because I got an American Eagle radiator and I pulled it for a water pump change. Good thing I did because I noticed the cheap garbage adapter was leaking and when I went to pull of the hose it broke. Pulled the hose adapter portion right out. So now I am looking for a M12x1.5 female to barb adapter and can't find anything really. I will be looking on Monday again. But my questions harkens to the use of the Tru-Max cooler. It looks outstanding and even says its made to bypass the radiator. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
So long as you have a tranny cooler you can bypass the one in the radiator just make sure to put a temp gauge on it while your at it to make sure the cooler is properly sized

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the answer to this isn't black and white.
the purpose of the water to oil cooler is so that you have cooling at any slow speeds and even just idle.
if you remove this and rely on only an air to oil cooler,you will eventually start to overheat your oil unless it's just a hwy cruiser.but better be careful if you get stuck in traffic.

how you drive and what you use the truck for,what the outside temps are will all play a role in how long you have at idle,or working off road with the truck before you'll overheat the fluid or have to get rolling asap to get some wind flowing through your air to oil cooler.

i would never dream of bypassing the primary water to oil cooler built into the radiator and only run an auxiliary air to oil cooler.id cook my E40D in no time flat trying to twitch logs,crawl around yards slowly for cleanup,or when plowing snow.etc.etc.etc.
you however may be able to get away with bypassing it but,i'll always strongly advise against it.

remember in a perfect world,your auto trans temp would be 175F all the time.whatever you can do to get as close to perfect,the longer the fluid and your trans will last.

Last edited:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I would never do it.

My stock cooling set up for the c6, the water cooler, then the single loop radiator, was WOEFULLY insufficient when I really pushed my truck. (granted I was WAY WAY WAY overloaded, but with better cooling would still have been ok) SO not enough that I actually had an engine fire when the front trans seal puked.

You will NEVER match the efficiency of a fluid to water cooler. That's where most of your heat is getting dumped, the aux air cooler that's plumbed in afterwards is for high load situations.

That's my two bits on it.