transfer case chain

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got a question on the transfer case chain. If it starts to stretch can you hear it dragging the bottom of the case? Thanks

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Yes from what I've read. Been doing abit of research on this my self, the one in my F150 seems to be worn out, I hear it hitting something under load.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem with these are oil leaks, and then they are run low on oil, which then ruins them. If it's noisy, check the oil level.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the jeeps (i'm assuming it may be a general rule) if you can stick your finger in the drain hole and feel the chain...it's stretched. someone might chime in on if thats a good test for these as well.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
mine would jump and make a loud pop under HEAVY load. so i replaced it.... with a 205....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of these things, I think it's the Borg-warner, has little plastic pieces that go somewhere on the shifter fork mechanism. I have been told that when the transfer case gets low on oil, it also gets hot and these little plastic pieces melt, and then it likes to jump out of gear also. I have never been in one, but this is what I have picked up from a Ford mechanic that works at a dealership so I am guessing he knows what he is talking about.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
That reminds me I probably need to check the fluid on mine.

Mine is really touchy. there is a very small window where it will engage 4HI. If you dont get it just right it will pop out of gear. dunno probably needs attention at some point

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest weakness I know of on there is the pump design - it's got a thin steel finger holding the pump from rotating by bearing against an aluminum rib on the inside of the case. Over time the rib wears through, pump spins and the gearset & bearings are starved for oil and melt themselves.

I got stranded in the middle of the central valley last spring cause of this very problem - the shift fork wore to the point where it started popping into neutral and there was no way to fix it short of replacing the case.

Prior to this it had some issues going into 4 lo for 1-2 months, so if you have any shifting issues with a 13-45 or 13-56 I highly recommend you immediately pull the case back off and inspect the pump / pickup. It's a pretty simple job, hardest part is breaking loose the nut on the rear output yoke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster