trans swap

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 93 7.3 idi f250 with a e4od and am wanting to put a manual in it what i am wondering is what i will need for a full swap and wat year donor trans should i look for? is it possible to put a zf6 from a newer 7.3 super duty?
on average how much would it cost to do all of this. any help or tips at all would be amazing

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would recommend doing a search for this. It's been beat to death here. To give you a couple highlights, It's never a bad idea to buy an entire truck with the parts you need. Usually cheaper in the long run. The ZF6 is not a direct bolt where as the ZF5 essentially is. The ZF6 doesnt' really give you any overdrive advantage. The final drive is almost identical to the ZF5. If you want overdrive, I believe you are looking for a 5 speed from 88-94 behind an IDI. Can also modify a 460 trans (search Typ4 modification). I am pretty sure that the ZF5 behind the OBS powerstrokes will also work but I can't confirm that. You may have to source a clutch disk for the PSD that is compatible with an IDI flywheel. Again, search is your friend on this one.
Hope that helps.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 93 7.3 idi f250 with a e4od and am wanting to put a manual in it what i am wondering is what i will need for a full swap and wat year donor trans should i look for? is it possible to put a zf6 from a newer 7.3 super duty?
on average how much would it cost to do all of this. any help or tips at all would be amazing
many many threads here on this exact subject, SEARCH is your friend here...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many have done this but as posted. Having a donor truck really helps you more than you can imagine. Some frame drilling will be needed on the trans cross members support. Might want to take the trans cover off the donor truck too but most trans covers will have the cut out area defined. Its just easier to remove the cover and reach the top bolts on the bell housing top.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Drove a few zf6 trucks and i think i prefer a zf5. Im also curious as to weather a PS zf5 will need a PS clutch to match the idi flywheel

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of a donor truck. If you can find a wrecked diesel zf5 truck, or one with a bad engine cheap enough it can often help pay for itself by selling off the remainder of the parts. I had my truck side by side with my donor truck and it made it a lot easier. To do it 'right' you'll need the trans and shifter, pedal cluster, clutch hydraulics, flywheel and clutch assy, floor plate where the shifter comes through, steering column (to get rid of the auto shifter), block off plate from the instrument cluster to replace the PRND21, a few wiring bits and pieces, cross member, hardware, etc. plus if it's 4wd you'll need the transfer case shifter linkages. I'm sure I'm missing a few odds and ends , which just shows how valuable having a donor can be.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a new column on a OBS truck. Just the plastic cover halves. Auto shifter simply unbolts. I just trimmed the cable mount at the bottom of the column.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You do not need anything different to run a psd zf5.

Personally I like the shifting of the 6 over the 5. Can float the gears easier also.

The only time a 6 is better is if you have high gears (numerically low)
Also the 6 has a cooler. (Not that it's detrimental)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk