Trans fluid question

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 f350 with e4od
I want to steer the trans fluid through the engine radiator when cold to warm it up or keep it warm in cold temps and stop the engine radiator flow and go through an after market electric fan operated cooler when hot.
What device will do the above and where can i get it

cre1992

Reaction score
You would need some sort of valve and temperature switches/electric switches, or you could probably get away with appropriately rated ball valves. I believe if you look at the Antarctic Ambulance thread, they just used a standalone cooler and bypassed the rad completely. Wes used a temp switch to keep the cooling circuit closed until the trans/atf was up to temp. That being said, why would you want to do that? A much larger than stock trans cooler and an aftermarket pan with more fluid capacity, should just about hold you over completely, unless you're doing something crazy.

gandalf

Reaction score
I think I may have what you need. I'll try to paste it in here.
Remote external thermal bypass Instructions
1) Hot fluid from Transmission > To Radiator transmission port
2) Cool Side of Radiator > To Thermal ByPass Valve TOP (see Arrow / Flow direction printed on valve)
3) Out of Valve TOP to Auxiliary Cooler
4) Out of Auxiliary Cooler > To Return Port (Bottom) of ByPass (see Arrow / Flow direction printed on valve)
5) From the OUT of the ByPass valve > BACK to the transmission port.
Winter Cold / Cool Fluid
from Transmission
To Radiator
Cool side of
Radiator to top of
ByPass valve to ByPass valve
Aux. cooler
Cold Fluid back
to Bottom of
ByPass valve
Cold Fluid back
to Back to Transmission
FLOW > When the transmission fluid is COLD
When the transmission is below operating
temperature, the valve partially closes
and redirects the fluid back to the transmission.
Once the fluid temperature warms, the valve
opens further until it is fully open at operating temps..

There are supposed to be pictures with this, but they're not coming through. It's a pdf file. If you want the whole thing send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send it.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans fluid should warm up quickly, picking up heat from the antifreeze but not rise too much above antifreeze operating temp. With a aftermarket powered trans cooler it could take to long to warm up and maybe stay to low with a good cooler

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Trans fluid should warm up quickly, picking up heat from the antifreeze but not rise too much above antifreeze operating temp. With a aftermarket powered trans cooler it could take to long to warm up and maybe stay to low with a good cooler
Look up the 5r100 cooling system for the 6.0 powerstroke. The "bypass valve" is thermostatically controlled.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
There was a company that made a thermostatically controlled valve for this purpose. It would bypass the cooler all together until the trans was warm. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts but I cant find anything that 79jasper said not knowing a year make or model and even then I would need the service manual to get a part number

gandalf

Reaction score
These coolers only flow when fluid gets hot. Would eliminate valves and such.
http://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/JuzYrhRsKxtwj9rTr/TRU-BRO-42019.pdf?store=original

This is true IF and ONLY IF the thermally controlled valve is used. If it is not plumbed into the system there is nothing to restrict the flow of transmission coolant. If it is used it returns the coolant to the transmission if it does not need to be cooled in the aftermarket cooler.

I have that cooler, the Tru-Max LPD 4739, on my truck. I chose to not mount the thermal valve simply because of where I live. The San Francisco Bay area does not get cold enough to warrant it, and in the summer I want to keep the coolant as cool as possible as soon as possible. Always remember, heat is the enemy of the E4OD transmission. A good cooler is cheap insurance for your transmission. It's much less expensive than having the transmission rebuilt. I'm saving the valve in case I ever move out of this warm climate.

I'm including a picture of the thermally controlled valve just to show that they DO exist. The Costco card shown is purely for size comparison. DO NOT go to Costco expecting to find this valve.

You must be registered for see images attach

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at rockauto for 06 f350 6.0 diesel couldn't find anything other than the trans cooler I would like to stay with a ford part but at a loss I dought the dealer could look it up without more info. In the past the dealer almost always asks for a vin number

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My mistake, it's internal to the trans, I mainly meant look into how the system works.
You can find many on Google. Many companies make them. Search "thermostatic bypass valve."

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, routing the fluid through the radiator in really cold environments does nothing to heat it up unless the radiator is equipped with shutters or a winter front. The ambient air temps keeps the fluid at the bottom of the radiator tank too cold. Blocking it off is the only way to get it warm, especially with a diesel engine.

Also, even your best air/oil cooler available doesn't have the capacity of a functioning water/oil cooler in the radiator, so long as the cooling system is functioning correctly too. A few years back I worked on an RV that another shop plugged the water/oil cooler in the radiator because of a leak. They then added the biggest tube/fin type trans cooler available in front of the radiator to replace it. That didn't work, and after overheating the trans and blowing all the fluid out the vent several times, they came to us. Sending the radiator out to repair the cooler ended up fixing the issue.

There are oil temperature thermostats available that route the fluid flow based off it's temp. I had one bookmarked for the longest time that was used on a air cooled vw beetle from 40 years ago. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online