Tranny coversion

dieselmechanic

Reaction score
:thumbsup:Does anyone have parts to mount the ford diesel auto tranny to the 5.9 liter cummins 1996 2500. I am a victum of the economy and I could use a good deal. I need everything includeing tranny and t-case flex plate and all if you can help let me know

Last edited:

dieselmechanic

Reaction score
Thank you but i can find the new plates but i could use a better deal if i can get one used. i also need the tranny if you know someone. by the way thanks for the reply. i havent heard from anyone yet and i posted it two weeks ago.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I noticed that this part of the site sees a little less action according to the dates on posts. What auto tranny are you looking for? The c6 is bulletproof but no overdrive, the e40d is capable to be built bulletproof but thats costly (usually)

There are a few idi trucks in the local u pull it that I could likely get a trans out of for you if need be. grand junction si just over a thousand miles from here, may be able to find one local and save shipping.

justin

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
If you are looking for the whole package... just use a dodge tranny etc.

Alternatively... I know that you can pull adapters from breadvans with a 4bt to use with the ford manuals... might work for autos?

dieselmechanic

Reaction score
c6 for sure i aint runnin quarter mile or nothing i just ike not havin to shift gears if ya know and the c6 will give me the power without the od. a little less milage but more power and mainly i need th adapter plate i have used parts at the dealer i work for i just do not wanna pay 7 bills for it ya know? by the way the hair is impressive.

dieselmechanic

Reaction score
the dodge tranny failed me on the mountain and 3500 dollars later i am still afraid of being stranded without cell service and the c6 like punk said is bullet proof. thanks diesel ape i will have to look into the box truck thing i think we have a few in the used parts fence that were wrecks

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
The could you modify a stock IDI adapter plate? That or the 4bt plate jperecko mentioned. I think the cummins are like chevys in that one group of engines is the same as the others. Not positive, but the 4bt may work. Im just gonna pay the 7 bills and take chance out of the equation, Its an expensive venture to swap but if the benefits are there then the payout comes in time. Im still researching the swap and what pros and cons there are to it.

justin

dieselmechanic

Reaction score
if you go auto punk stay way away from the dodge but if you go stick go 6 speed dodge they take the cake and i think you can convert fairly cheapif you can find one at a yard

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I will go stick. I converted my f350 from c6 to zf5. Im not a fan of automatics. I wonder if its cheaper to get the 6 speed dodge (nv4500 or a dodge trans?) or buy the adapter plate for one of my zfs?

justin

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread sounds like typical internet BS. If you want real answers talk to someone who knows something about this stuff like Scott at destroked, screamin ****** or even give me a call. Do some real research before you dump tons of money into a setup that will not work.

First, a cummins and IDI are apples and oranges. You cannot put a ford transmission designed for a navistar behind a cummins without serious work.

The E4OD is a pile without tons of work into it. If you want to run a ford auto behind a cummins (very stupid IMO in a heavy truck) buy a 5R110 and use a PCS controller with Scott's shift program and a custom low stall billet converter.

A C6, TH400, 727 or any other 3 speed, non-OD, non-lockup auto is incredibly stupid behind a cummins. Dodge did it with a 3.07 gears and made it work, but it sure as hell wasn't an ideal setup. If you don't have the coin to do the tranny right by buying the parts or the machine tools and skills to build the parts yourself don't do it.

These engines make peak torque at 1600 RPM and at light throttle with the TC unlocked a dodge auto will in 3rd gear by 20 MPH to keep the engine loaded at all. There aren't any other pickup trannnies out there that will do this.

Most people who work on this stuff have a pretty high regard for the dodge auto trannies. The 727 is a hell of a tranny, it's not a poor unit whatsoever and all consecutive designs, the A518, 47RH, 47RE, 48RE are all derivatives of the 727 with a very large interchange.

When I do a Cummins swap and need an auto tranny the hands down first choice for me is a dodge 47RH. The 47RH was used in 94 and 95 behind the cummins and V10 only. It's the same tranny as the 47RE, but the RH is full hydraulic control. It does not need a computer to operate. The 91-93 dodge A518 is very similiar to the 47RH but lacks lockup. It can be turned into a 47RH for about $200 in parts and some pretty extensive knowledge of dodge autot interchange.

I will typically pay $200-$500 for a core 47RH and put around $600 in parts into it to make it handle 800 lb/ft reliably including a billet low stall converter, transgo kit, 48RE OD drum and quality clutches.