tranny cooler question

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i run a big tranny cooler with the e4od with a fan. Will I be able to used over drive when pulling a load or am I still asking for trouble ? :dunno 45 mph at 2500 rpm hurts bad at the gogo pump.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
You must have really small tires or mucho torque converter slip... 2500 is closer to 55mph with 4.11's

Maybe you have 4.56's?:dunno:confused:

Is your tranmission stock? What about your torque converter?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few things you should understand.
1. towing in OD is just as safe as towing in 3rd gear.
the clutches are not weaker,and she will kick down WAY before she'll think about lugging.even if you tweak your TPS.
you don't want to let it "hunt" back and forth between 3rd and 4th is all.
anything other than that,is an E40D myth.:D

2. when the TC locks up after the 3rd gear shift,your trans temps fall,not rise.
3. you should only need a fan on your cooler if;
you drive slow while towing.or you plow.
otherwise you'll find it will never turn on anyway and be wasted $.
4. it's all in the temp gauge.this will let you know what is required for your application.listen to the gauge.pull over and stop if it gets high.resume once cool,then purchase whats required to keep your trans cool (but above 150) at all times,so you won't need to stop and let the trans cool anymore.

since i only plow out the family,i simply just stop when my trans fluid temp reaches 200 degrees.5 mins latter when its around 180,i'll resume.
if i was plowing for money,id still stop and wait for it to cool,OR id get an e-fan for it,so i didn't have to.
either way,the same objective.a trans not allowed to overheat,just as importantly as the engine isn't allowed.:)

You must be registered for see images

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have really small tires or mucho torque converter slip... 2500 is closer to 55mph with 4.11's

Maybe you have 4.56's?:dunno:confused:

Is your tranmission stock? What about your torque converter?

As far as I know everything is stock. The tag on the rear end say 4.10's :dunno

The tires are 215/85/16's

I pulled a gooseneck that was probably 7k with o/d off. 45 mph @ around 2500

With o/d on 60 mph is around the 2200 mark. :eek:

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few things you should understand.
1. towing in OD is just as safe as towing in 3rd gear.
the clutches are not weaker,and she will kick down WAY before she'll think about lugging.even if you tweak your TPS.
you don't want to let it "hunt" back and forth between 3rd and 4th is all.
anything other than that,is an E40D myth.:D

2. when the TC locks up after the 3rd gear shift,your trans temps fall,not rise.
3. you should only need a fan on your cooler if;
you drive slow while towing.or you plow.
otherwise you'll find it will never turn on anyway and be wasted $.
4. it's all in the temp gauge.this will let you know what is required for your application.listen to the gauge.pull over and stop if it gets high.resume once cool,then purchase whats required to keep your trans cool (but above 150) at all times,so you won't need to stop and let the trans cool anymore.

since i only plow out the family,i simply just stop when my trans fluid temp reaches 200 degrees.5 mins latter when its around 180,i'll resume.
if i was plowing for money,id still stop and wait for it to cool,OR id get an e-fan for it,so i didn't have to.
either way,the same objective.a trans not allowed to overheat,just as importantly as the engine isn't allowed.:)

You must be registered for see images

so I should just install a temp gauge and watch it close ? But say I put the cooler with a fan on it and it got warm. I could control the temp without loosing time on the side of the road right ? What about these bigger tranny pans that claim to help the temp stay lower ? I just don't want to burn the tranny up. I'll be pulling the 5er about 200 miles round trip soon and don't want to do it at 45 but also don't want to burn her up pulling 13k pounds.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
MAke sure to run a quality synthetic tranny fluid for one thing, that will help a bunch. KEep that cool and you should have nothing to worry about
As far as towing in OD, it has to do witha combination of tranny temp and engine load. If you are towing heavy, you will find that you will actually get BETTER fuel mileage if you go ahead and drop that gear and let it wind up those extra rpms and get it up in its power range to where its not having to work as hard, than if you put it up in OD and have to floor it where you will be inhaling fuel the whole way. 2500 is really a pretty good range for fuel mileage and power when towing
HEy, I've got a 4.10 rear and 2 overdrives and I've got teh power to pull in both even when grossing 22kwith my carhauler ( with my brownie I've got 15 forward gears and double od at teh top ) but I pull the thing in 4 over ( which is halfway between 4th which is direct and 5th which is first od ) which has me running at 62 mph but that gives me the best fuel mileage and pulling power to where I don't have to constantly shift

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
so I should just install a temp gauge and watch it close ? But say I put the cooler with a fan on it and it got warm. I could control the temp without loosing time on the side of the road right ? What about these bigger tranny pans that claim to help the temp stay lower ? I just don't want to burn the tranny up. I'll be pulling the 5er about 200 miles round trip soon and don't want to do it at 45 but also don't want to burn her up pulling 13k pounds.

Go with a good tranny cooler and install a temp gauge. Unless there is something wrong with the tranny, the cooler will keep temps reasonable.

Don't waist your money on the bigger pan. Put the money you saved by not buying it into a good cooler.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online