Trailers

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of you guys have trailers. Some big enough to haul a full size truck on. Where are ya'll getting them? I'm looking for a trailer about 15 ft long or so and here they are way over priced.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? I saw I believe a 24' triple axle trailer for like $3000 in Reno, NV or close to it.
http://reno.en.craigslist.org/rvs/4536995469.html

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apple valley,ca. $3k is way over my budget.ive never had that kind of cash... looking for one to haul trash and quads.new ones are $1500 and used ones are $1500 with junk tires and bad wood. maybe im behind the times? im hoping to spend $500 ish.cant swing more at this time or any time in the future.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here a 16-18' tandem axle car trailer is 2500-3000 new. Used are anywhere from 1,000 up. Now a smaller utility type 6'x14' may be less, but I haven't priced them.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trailers are sort of like tools around here also. They have to be in pretty rough shape to get them really cheap. You will find trailer stuff is a little high also, like tires, wheels and brake parts. Lumber is high also, so replacing the deck on a trailer you got a "deal" on may set you back more money than you figured on.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
You won't find a trailer suitable for a full size truck for $500, nor a trailer suitable for a small car. At least out here $1000 might get you (occasionally, if you're lucky) a trailer that'll fit a full size car or regular cab pickup but is real rough and needs everything. Not sure why trailers are so expensive, but I guess that's why I haven't bought one. Don't need one very often, but between me and a few friends having one available would be useful so I keep an eye out for bargains. With what I've seen out here and the time/money it'd take to make it good to go if I needed to haul cars regularly I'd be tempted to buy new because it'll cost you well over half that to buy used and do whatever it needs and 50% of new is my ballpark cutoff on used stuff that I gotta spend time and money on.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got a homemade triple axle all steel 20'x8' flatbed from craigslist for $1200. I had to rewire it and replace all the lights and two tires. It has mobile home axles so I can find mounted tires ready to go on craigslist for $25 each. It's a heavy SOB at 3K empty but it holds anything I put on it. For $500 you may be able to find a trailer that needs finished, as in no deck or lighting and still needing some material added to the frame. Stranger things have happened though, check the classifieds every day. I have a craigslist app on my phone that alerts me every time something is posted that matches my search criteria.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got lucky and found/ bought one today. its about 20 ft long front and has about 17 ft of steel deck. wide enough to fit my quads or a small car on. ill have to measure it but id guess 6 ft between the fenders. its well used but rolls,has 4 tires and a spare. i paid $600 for it! i see similiar ones selling for 3x that so i jumped on it

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look long enough eventually you'll get lucky. I got my 16+4 Zieman 12k steel deck trailer for $6-700 IIRC. Ad had no pictures and sounded like a pos homebuilt trailer so not many people were interested in it. Wound up having to fix a few cracks and redo the brakes and bearings but it's been a great trailer for the price. I've had as much as 10k lb on it and it handles that fine. Just goes to show, you never know what you'll find...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
due to multiple contacts with kali DOT concerning trailers over the years, I've learned a few bitter lessons. these rules apply to kali, your state may be different.
-bumper pull trailers max at 10k/lbs gross for class C DL's
-fifth wheel/gooseneck trailers max at 15k/lbs gross for class C DL's
-max combined length for truck and trailer is 40 feet long for class C DL's
-CHP/DOT has not been openly enforcing the 40' rule due to the number of bluehairs that are in violation with their RV trailers and they also vote.
-there are rules in place for regulation on RV's and RV trailers governing length, weight, and brakes but enforment is lax at the moment.
-mobile home axles are illegal for use in kali as a trailer axle. if you are caught, your trailer is at risk for impound or worse, a OS tag.

what I have learned over the years in hauling our beloved diesel pickups on a trailer.
-cheap trailers are your worst enemy. homebuilt trailers are at the top of the list.
-you need a 20 ft trailer at minimum, you can bias the load forward or rearward to add or reduce weight on the tongue.
-a 25 ft trailer can handle a crewcab with no issues whatsoever. a 20 ft trailer can get the job done but you have no options on load bias.
-five lug wheel axles are a no-no. six lug wheel axles are the bare minimum for a 10k trailer and you need 2 of them for safety. 8 lug axles are the ideal since there is plenty of load capacity and if you own a SRW truck, you have one less spare tire to carry.
-trailer axles bow downward in the center as they approach load maximum rating.
average weights of ford diesel pickups without a payload are as follows......
-RC trucks are 6k/lbs
-SC trucks are 7k/lbs
-CC trucks are 8k/lbs
of course there will be some ******* challenging these numbers. these are average numbers ONLY, not absolutes. it is only meant so you can estimate the weight you will be hauling. what does this mean?
-the average weight of a 10k trailer without a payload is 3k/lbs.
these thoughts are only divluged to stimulate thought. not look for open arguement. if you want to argue, great. you win.
if you want to take these thoughts and formulate safe load and hauling procedures, you are the real winner.
only you know the terrain, traffic and weather conditions you wil be hauling in, and only you can make the proper judgement and risk assesment. when towing a trailer, the opportunity for things to go wrong badly lurk at every corner.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just keep shopping the classifieds like craigslist. Something will come up. Put a wanted add online for one. Lots of people out there have something they want to sell you.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Got the one in my signature for $750

Hauled my 6700lb van from the bottom of illinois to Madison wi.

3500 lb axles. Top speed about 55 mph. Could've went 60-65. Just didn't want to push it.

Low n slow is the way i tow

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder whats the deal with mobil home axles? what makes the state say you cant use them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online