Trailers

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Typically it's the tires that rate rated mobile home use only.

The axle and hubs were used on other trailers. I have had two skid loader trailers with the 14.5 low boy tires and rims that looked just like mobile homes. The tires were not labeled m h only

Your state may vary.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
i wonder whats the deal with mobil home axles? what makes the state say you cant use them?

This is Kalifornia, you can't wipe your ass without a fine if you do not do it in a state approved manner and without the proper permits.

That's just the way it is here Komrade, as Kalifornia goes, so goes the country. BTW happy 4th, it was nice to be independent from the tyranny if only for a short while.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting. ive never seen the tires.so its the tires and not the axle its self. i bought a trailer last weekend. little beat up but rolls. its just for atv's and trash. no way would i put a full size car on it. maybe my wrangler....maybe

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wonder whats the deal with mobil home axles? what makes the state say you cant use them?
Look on the side of the tires, "FOR MOBILE HOME USE ONLY" . Ya pays your money and takes ya chances.

Like towcat said, I believe they are Illegal in every state. Just get in an accident towing one, you'll find out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I can tell you the mobile home wheels like to pop off.
They also have a lower max speed limit.
But here in Oklahoma, I'm not sure if that same rule applies.
I've seen all kinds of trailer with mobile home axles. That are commercial use.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive never lived in a trailer. that explains my lack of knowlege about mobil home wheels. lol

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i picked up some used brakes for the trailer. is there a wear limit for the magnets? every thing looks usable but the magnets look ground up from rubbing on the drum. wondering how thin they are sposed to be

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not real sure on specs, but for the price of magnets and stuff, I would probably just replace.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The mobile home tires are only rated for 50-55mph. I found that out two days after spending an hour on the freeway at 65 with mine. I rarely use the freeway with my trailer, but better safe than sorry. I am slowly changing the tires to the non mobile home versions.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mobile home tires are only rated for 50-55mph. I found that out two days after spending an hour on the freeway at 65 with mine. I rarely use the freeway with my trailer, but better safe than sorry. I am slowly changing the tires to the non mobile home versions.
I have never seen a tire that's rated for 50mph. I live in Europe and tire certifications are different here but I doubt that. Tires that are made for street use on cars of course.
I have some US tires here, they aren't rated at all.
Even tires for bigger trucks are rated for more than 60mph if not on their physical load limit. E.g. there is a specification from Michelin for 14.00 x 20" wheels that give more than 100km/h if not loaded with 8 tons each but only 7 or 6 t. The closer they get to their full load index the lower max speed these are allowed to drive. Down to 80km/h.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do you need a pic to prove the tires speed limit of 55?
Or just saying you don't have them there?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huge long threads with people arguing about "mobile home" axles and tires can be found all over the internet. It seems generally, some people have good luck with them with no trouble, and some people have trouble with them and thus, write them off and don't use them and say they are no good.

I have always used them, at any speed, loaded to the max, and never had any trouble. I will admit they don't seem to have a very long life, but they are good for me, I don't use my trailer everyday. If I did use the trailer more than I do, I think I would convert to the regular 14.5 tires(they make them) for longer tread life.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the other issue is,the brakes are non serviceable/one time use.they can easily be changed over.i called up the local trailer shop and was informed the mobile home axles under my dump trailer are just fine.nothing wrong nor unsafe about them.they said they can safely be used as long as the rubber gets changed for trailer tires and the brakes get swapped out for serviceable style.

simply outlawing them in California was probably the only reasonable course of action for safety.it's extremely overcrowded out there (that's why they have so many strict standards,especially when it comes to emissions.if they didn't people couldn't see let alone breathe.) that's what the nice weather gets ya lol.it's hard to monitor so many people running mobile home axles to insure they're properly converted in rubber/brakes that it only makes sense they just had to say no.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
the other issue is,the brakes are non serviceable/one time use.they can easily be changed over.i called up the local trailer shop and was informed the mobile home axles under my dump trailer are just fine.nothing wrong nor unsafe about them.they said they can safely be used as long as the rubber gets changed for trailer tires and the brakes get swapped out for serviceable style.

simply outlawing them in California was probably the only reasonable course of action for safety.it's extremely overcrowded out there (that's why they have so many strict standards,especially when it comes to emissions.if they didn't people couldn't see let alone breathe.) that's what the nice weather gets ya lol.it's hard to monitor so many people running mobile home axles to insure they're properly converted in rubber/brakes that it only makes sense they just had to say no.

Still sticking up for the bureaucrats eh Matt? You do know it's easier to control people and their lives under the guise of safety right? Benjamen Franklin said "Those that would give up freedom for a little safety deserve neither." To be a free people we are to be in charge of our lives and our government, not the other way around.

Also, it's clear you have never been in California when you state we are extremely over crowded. You cannot go by population numbers alone, you have to factor in the size of the state, we are the third largest in the nation. What you see on TV, mainly LA and Frisco, do not represent the state. We have miles upon miles of open space, grazing fields, orchards, farm lands, and vineyards. You can drive for hours and see nothing but open fields and silos.

There is nothing reasonable about bureaucratic theoreticians whom never had a real job or made a payroll or paid bills running/ruining the lives of those of us who make the state work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle