Totaled my truck(pics) What should I do?

Wood

Reaction score
So i got into a wreck yesterday (everyone is okay) heading home from work. Bent front of the frame to passenger side. Totaled.

What Ive come here to ask is what i should do now? Im looking at two options. First being, buy another idi and make a nice truck out of the two, Im going to sell another truck for the cash because Im broke. Should be able to get around 2000. so that wont net me a very nice IDI, the cab on my truck is *******, XLT power everything. not tears or stains, my grandpa was the original owner. what i would have to find is a long bed supercab with like a blown gas motor or something then just use the frame and front sheet metal parts.

Option 2 being i part this truck out, sell my other truck and buy a cummins. i know you guys are gonna blow my ass up for saying this, but in all seriousness if i were to keep the idi in the first place i was gonna need to put some money into the turbo/engine setup to be able to tow how i would like to. so keep in mind im looking at this as a tool for me to tow my race car. I know a cummins can tow the way i want as my dad has one.

i appreciate the opinions on to which direction i should go, im just not sure what everything is worth. I live in northern California.

You must be registered for see images attach

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad no one was hurt. You say you've got another truck to sell. What is it?

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I would look for a Powerstroke if I were you. Just my $0.02.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad nobody got hurt. Metal can be repaired but people have to heal slowly. Being is cali you have plenty of sheet metal choices to pick from. We usually don't have the rust those poor guys in the salt belt have. I'm always saddened looking at the rust found on those rigs. And really aplaud those that can save them. My hats off to you guys. No matter what you do its going to be plenty of work to save or swap over the good for the bad. But at least we have plenty of rust free rigs sitting around waiting for rescue The last I asked was about 2 years ago about core supports at pick a part. They wanted $44.00 for them... Rust free of course.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the frame is buckled forward of the engine cross-member, you're repairable. i have a frame to cut apart if you're interested.
if the frame is buckled behind the engine cross-member, you're better off replacing the frame.
how much are you looking to get out of the wrecked truck if you plan to sell?

Wood

Reaction score
my plan was to part out the truck. its got a exhaust brake, fresh inj pump. banks turbo setup. 4.10s, new clutch.

the frame is bent on both sides driver side not so bad but passenger side its pushed out so much it pull the rivets out of the engine crossmember, actually pinched on of the up tube between the trans and frame rail.

the truck will need a new frame and all the sheet metal from the firewall forward. and most likely steering parts if not front end suspension parts.

Wood

Reaction score
Glad no one was hurt. You say you've got another truck to sell. What is it?

just a ol 88 k1500 v6 5 speed, regular cab short bed. just went through all the sensors and ignition, new clutch in it also. trucks a decent runner, just no power and no mileage. lol

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You have a tough decision to make. I would look for a good donor truck to start with, use your nice interior and other good parts to build up the truck that you want. This would be a great time to sell the idi parts if goat smuggling is what you are into, nothing wrong with that by my standards. You are well poised having a good interim truck in your bowtie. Good luck and glad to hear another good ol' Ford kept its passengers safe when they needed it most.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my plan was to part out the truck. its got a exhaust brake, fresh inj pump. banks turbo setup. 4.10s, new clutch.

the frame is bent on both sides driver side not so bad but passenger side its pushed out so much it pull the rivets out of the engine crossmember, actually pinched on of the up tube between the trans and frame rail.

the truck will need a new frame and all the sheet metal from the firewall forward. and most likely steering parts if not front end suspension parts.
i'm looking for a SC 4x4. it can come without powertrain as long as the title is good. if you take it out and leave the cab/interior/bed intact and put some type of axle under the rear, we might come to a deal. i have a frame I can modify to a 4x4 and a d60 front axle as well as a powertrain I need to put together for yet another TX truck. if the deal can work, great. if not, there's other trucks around. I'm patient.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine wrecked his '94 F150 and bent the frame. I had a '92 F150 parts pickup with a straight frame. So, we stripped both pickups bare and put his body, drivetrain, and axles on the straight frame. He had his pickup going again and about all it cost was the time. Then I parted and scrapped the left over parts. If you could get a parts pickup cheap enough it's not that bad, and you can salvage some cost from the leftovers when you're done. I guess it depends what you can afford and how much you like the pickup.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did the other vehicle look like? These trucks are tough. I bet the other vehicle looked like a crushed beer can. It is a tough call, but I think I would look for another truck.

Archie

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since you know your truck, know from the cab back is good, and all it needs is a frame and frt clip, id just buy those parts and replace them. you will be really surprised how quickly you can transfer parts from one frame to another.

Wood

Reaction score
i'm looking for a SC 4x4. it can come without powertrain as long as the title is good. if you take it out and leave the cab/interior/bed intact and put some type of axle under the rear, we might come to a deal. i have a frame I can modify to a 4x4 and a d60 front axle as well as a powertrain I need to put together for yet another TX truck. if the deal can work, great. if not, there's other trucks around. I'm patient.

i have a clean title in hand. the body is actually fairly straight, one fender is a little bent up. is an good running truck, IFS, wouldnt really want to rip the thing apart. but if you have a supercab long bed frame and D60 front ill trade straight across.

What did the other vehicle look like? These trucks are tough. I bet the other vehicle looked like a crushed beer can. It is a tough call, but I think I would look for another truck.

Archie
I barely felt it.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
GOOD OL' LAKE COUNTY! was the other driver high on ****? want to sell the truck :-D

glad everyones ok.. years ago some hondas were playing fast-n-furious on a stretch of 101 under construction. well i ended up rear ended them in my 91 dodge cummins..

i had a 3/8th thick c-channel bumper.. i drove home with a leaky radiator from the fan hitting it.. both they're cars were stuck together

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US