Torque screw vs fuel screw?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know that is the torque screw. This pix shows in the lower right corner the other screw, which is just a plug, hard to see, but it don't touch anything. I've got 4 IP's and will check to see if any are different from the one shown here.

These Pix are wrong also. For some reason a Quote won't transfer the Pix.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, MY BAD.
Here is the correct Pix of the location of the torque screw. Along with Pix of the three different IP's I have. I hope I have it right this time.

To mudduck
[/so you can turn the torque screw and gain more power also or what?? QUOTE]

I personnally don't know, never messed with one. As you can see from the Pix one is adjustable, while the other two are not.

Attachments

• DVC01380.JPG
    DVC01380.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DVC01408.JPG
    DVC01408.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 151
  • DVC01401.JPG
    DVC01401.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DVC01402.JPG
    DVC01402.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 93
  • DVC01403.JPG
    DVC01403.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DVC01404.JPG
    DVC01404.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DVC01405.JPG
    DVC01405.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DVC01407.JPG
    DVC01407.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 84

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now that nut that has the springs on either side of it inside the top cover, does anyone know what that does because i went to help someone with one of these trucks and he had turned that nut for some reason and I just had him put it back to stock location because niether of us knew what it did

That is the min/max govenor assembly, and there is an additional spring and screw inside it that you can't see.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
that is the nut that rides on the shaft Inside of the top cover with the springs on either side. I thought the min/max was the other screw on the outside of the pump.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i maxed my torque screw all the way out and i didnt gain any power or black smoke

The turbo is giving the air to prevent it making smoke, from what I understand. On the turbo pumps that screw is supposed to be backed out and the turbo supplying the air to prevent smoke.

1994IDI

Reaction score
i maxed my torque screw all the way out and i didnt gain any power or black smoke

I don't know what others experiences have been with the torque screw, but I have been on Oilburners, and around my truck enough to know that these IDI's don't have a "magic button" so to speak, like a 12V cummins where you can simply re-shape your fuel plate and make 100 hp.
If you maxxed out your torque screw, I'd surmise that you picked up a few horses, or lb/ft somewhere in the power band that you didn't notice.
But from my experience with my IDI, that's how extra power is made in our trucks; little bits at a time.. here and there.

I say this because I've felt it in my truck over the past two years, and more so, I just did a slew of dyno runs, and got to see it first hand. I added an intercooler, injectors, and increased the IP, and only picked up 47 lb/ft. I was only able to gain that much because I played with different combinations of fuel delivery, boost, etc.

I only said all that because it seems like several people are expecting magic from increasing their IP, or twisting their torque screw, but in the case of most of our trucks, I think there are only small increments of power to be had out of any one adjustment. Of course some guys are going to come back on the contrary and say they felt huge improvements with these adjustments and I believe them, every truck is different. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think we should tweak and play, just don't hope for big power jumps at a time.

I apologize for the ridiculously long post.

diesels onley

Reaction score
do you adjust it from inside the pump or out side cuz if it makes power and smoke ill try it if it blows my truck up so b it i got another motor for it

xekon

Reaction score
The truck I bought smoke at idle, the previous owner said its because he "turned the pump up" however because the truck needed a transmission I didnt ask him any more questions about what he did exactly. It is now 3 years later and I got the truck going with a good transmission.

You must be registered for see images

Here is a picture that I just took of my pump, from the pictures supplied by OLDBULL8 I now know that the one circled in red is the torque screw, I have also read that there is an adjustment under the triangle plate circled in green, if I read everything in the thread right Agnem said the yellow one is the min/max govenor assembly.

There was a plastic cap over the Red and Yellow circles, the yellow circle cap was somewhat torn up from the last person that messed with it, so im guessing somebody might have done something to that one before, not sure about the red circle.

What I would like to try and accomplish is getting this pump set as close to Factory as I can while I test the truck for reliability, I have read too much fuel can melt pistons and I certainly dont want that.

Truck is 1993 F250 XLT 7.3 NA with E4OD 4x4

This pump is currently on my truck, the fuel lines are removed because I just finished dissembling and ultrasonic cleaning my injectors, I also pop tested them with my home made tester and with a Fast pump they all consistently open at about 1850 psi and hold pressure now that they are clean, before they opened a little lower like 1700-1750 and some of them would leak down pressure.

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is smoking at idle, or anything other than black smoke under heavy throttle... it's timing. Advance the timing until you don't have white/gray smoke.

You can crank the pump up to the maximum on both screws, N/A, and not have any smoke unless you give it too much throttle - it's a fuel /maximum/, not like on a gasser where you are changing the air/fuel ratio.

Also, for anyone else who is interested... if you have a turbo, take the darned torque screw out entirely. Not only do you not need it(it limits metering valve travel), but it affects top end fuel more than anything. The torque screw is the difference between 150RWHP and 200RWHP on a stock pump with the "fuel screw" maxed out.
(Remember, older IPs/trucks didn't even have one)

xekon

Reaction score
Cool thank you very much for the reply Macrobb. My initial assumption was it was smoking because the injectors were ******* when they shouldn't be. So I have completely cleaned them, I am just about done putting them back on the truck.

I was planning to time it either way because I had no idea of knowing if the previous owner had that right either. I have timed one of these once before so I have the necessary tools to time an IDI.

Will post back with the results when I am all done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker