Top Starter Bolt

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its real easy if you go to harbor freight and spend 8.99 on a set of wobble extensions, use the two smaller 1/4" ones and its easy as pie :angel:

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*****...now that statement in and of it's self....makes me wonder....did u get a new one that's longer or shorter?:rotflmao:sly

i just figured if it didnt look like itd fit id just spit on it and slam it in there :dunno

finally got it though. after digging out probably 6 pounds of mud and such i found the bolt. got it out, popped the new one in. after sitting for oh... 2 months probably let the glow plugs fire hit the key... HOLY ****. never heard that truck turn over that fast, nor start that instantly. forget diesel, ill just drive around on the starter! haha, obviously kidding.

thanks for the help guys. i obviously got in a hurry and missed the obvious. i will say the starters from DB Electrical on ebay (116 for a new gear reduction) are much cheaper and easier to install than the old ones!

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I've swapped 18 starters out in the last month. 10 of which were in the same truck because the guy who owns it is an idiot. Did you know if it doesn't start just keep using the starter till it either starts, kills the batteries, or fries the starter. I could have killed him when he showed me how he was starting it.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One time in a bad situation when i was faced wrong ways on a hill and she wouldnt start,:rotflmao i put it in 4-low and using my push button crawled her a few feet with plenty of time to cool down. The starter and group 31s didnt disappoint:rotflmao

Got it turned around enough to roll er down hill and try to compression start it. I had 2 spots with room for three shots. All 3 failed but it was enough to get er to start right up like nothing happened :eek:

VStorm

Captain TowHart
Reaction score
After you take your starter out, install a 3/8 x 16 stud in the top hole. Measure your bolt and starter flange and get one and a flange nut from Amazon with the DB starter. Much easier to get the new starter in when it's hanging on a stud. This should have been done at the factory.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did the starter in the nontruck... Searched like a moron for 15 min for the top bolt, finally stuck my camera stick up there and saw there WAS NO TOP BOLT!
Jerk previous owner

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.