Top Starter Bolt

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, before i get thrown to the "search is your friend" wolves, ive searched. ive read the "how to" thats posted. unfortunately, my starter doesnt allow for an extension, hell, i cant even find the top bolt. using pictures from the how to it looks like the top bolt is right under where my solenoid sits. i have tried every wrench i have, specialty wrenches, standard wrenches, racheting wrenches, hell i even bent my own (cheap harbor freight wrenches) i CANT FIND THE DAMNED BOLT....

anyone have any ideas? would removing the solenoid help?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Basically, get pissed at it, that helps. It's... Do you remember your first time with a woman, in the dark? You have to feel your way to find it. Also a 6" wobble extension helps sometimes.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just a pain stupid angle its there. i think i used a wobble extension and short socket and you just hope you get lucky and get on it.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BRILLIANT! gotta love it. my new starter has a direct path to where the bolt is. cant wait till i get this new one in. gettin tired of getting horrible gas mileage in my jeep... plus i miss the space and the comfort and... ugh

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What works for me is a socket and extension thats just about 1 inch longer than the starter. It is a;; 3/8 drive stuff. Some use a 36 inch extension and come in over the motor mount and front cross member area. Now going back together is really easy. I use electrical tape. Just make sure the socket is taped secure to the extension first. Now place a tiny amount of tape around the bolt head to the socket. All you need is enough to hold the bolt in the socket but be able to pull it free when the bolt is tight. This is no area where you want the socket to come off the extension either... Start by installing the bottom and side bolts so the starter is self supported....:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What works for me is a socket and extension thats just about 1 inch longer than the starter. It is a;; 3/8 drive stuff. Some use a 36 inch extension and come in over the motor mount and front cross member area. Now going back together is really easy. I use electrical tape. Just make sure the socket is taped secure to the extension first. Now place a tiny amount of tape around the bolt head to the socket. All you need is enough to hold the bolt in the socket but be able to pull it free when the bolt is tight. This is no area where you want the socket to come off the extension either... Start by installing the bottom and side bolts so the starter is self supported....:sly Don't make those bolts angry tight either

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I used the long extension trick, worked well for me. I think I use about a 18-20" extension. Like Gary, I used a piece of paper towel on the bolt head to hold it in for re-installation.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The one I changed, I used a deep 3/8 drive socket, a 3 or 4" extension and my 3/8 drive air ratchet..... it just reached, which was the key.... any longer or shorter with the combo I had, it would not have worked.....

Yes, getting PO'ed at it helps..... it really does......oh, and they are really heavy too..... if you have not had one out..... once you get that top bolt loose, gravity will work...... watch your head/hands/etc that is between it and the ground......

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
What worked for me was a shallow socket with a 6" and a 1" behind that. On mine I was able to guide the bolt into the hole with my fingers and then thread it in carefully with the extension.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Didnt think it was that hard to get the top bolt?

I just used a bunch of misc. extensions. Took me all of a couple minutes max.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online