Tool for 5/16" IP bolts

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you all use to remove the 3 bolts holding the IP to the timing gear? I can't find a 16-point socket or wrench anywhere local so far. Tried the local Napa, Sears, Lowes, Fastenal, and the typical response I got was they didn't really know a 16-point tool existed. Any idea where you can get one or what do you all use to remove these 3 bolts?

Thanks,
Bird hunter

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 12pt 5/16, no one else had it except home depot in my area( Husky crap lol )

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duh. My reading skills today are ****

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The socket or wrench you need is the 12 point style. Where did you come up with the 16 point style... Mel has always used a 5/16 open combo wrench and his thumb pressure for the proper torque needed. I personally use a 3/8 drive 5/16 inch socket and a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter so I can use my 1/2 inch drive torque wrench... The torque needed on these special hardened bolts is 25 ft lbs. I know this seems like too much but these bolts are special material and they are the same bolts that hold the rear u joint in the housing.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct I got the 16 pt socket idea from the injection servicing article. I'll get the 12 pt one instead, no wonder it was so hard to find!

Thanks all for the help.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Someone needs to remind Mel to "fix that".. I recall we talked about it some years back too.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I made the same mistake last year... went to the local Sears and got funny looks from the guy working in the tool dept. "No sir, I have never heard of a 16-point socket..."

IIRC the bolts are 9/16.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, 12 point. Mel's gonna have to correct that typo one of these days. LOL This happens a couple times a year.

Heath

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I admit that when I first came to OB I was looking for the 16-pt socket too...

Maybe it's meant as some kind of newbie hazing ritual? Kinda like sending your assistant to get the 2X4 stretcher or jug of headlight fluid? :dunno:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, 12 point. Mel's gonna have to correct that typo one of these days. LOL This happens a couple times a year.Heath

I thought that when "Hope & Change" came along that it would get done, but as it turned out, Hope was always there but Change never came. :hail :rolleyes:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 pt 5/16" **or** 8mm socket. Craftsman has one, Lowes, OSH, most auto parts stores have them.

The 3 nuts holding the pump on are 9/16".... I took a cheap combo wrench and bent it in a nice curve and then ground the box end down to fit over the nuts... works well for me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Making a wrench to remove the three nuts that are 9/16 hex is not hard. Just heat up and bend. Cool and test fit. Do it again if needed. Grind to fit..

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like I wasn't the only fool asking around for a 16-point socket.LOL Actually, I was able to loosen up the 3 9/16" nuts with just a regular wrench, but it was kind of a battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online