Too good to be true..? Prolly is...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You may remember THIS THREAD about getting a rebuilt motor with 33K on it and a C6 Tranny for $500.00, and was planning on having it installed in my truck,..

Well, It seems that I was fibbed to,... -cuss ..The guy that I got it from (john) is friends with the owner of a junk yard and that is where he got it. Last week I went to the junk yard for some other parts, and was shooting the breeze with the owner. I told him that I knew John, and that I bought the 7.3 Diesel motor from him. At that point I was hoping that he would confirm John's story about 33K on the motor. Well guess what, that is the first that he heard of that. He knew that it was a good running motor, but it wasnt rebuilt. If it was he would have kept it for his diesel yard truck.
He has no reason the lie to me, John does.

SO,...I will be keeping my motor. Today I droped off both trucks to Ken, and he is just going to swap trannys for me, not motors. Then he will install the junkyard 7.3 in the 94 F250.

I still feel that I got a good deal for the motor and tranny, just would have been nice if I didn't get lied too.

Just wanted to vent a little..
Darrin

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Sucks about the lie. Hopefully everything else works out. If so, you still did good.

Don

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darrin-
unless you know the rebuilder, "rebuilt" is only a crapshoot. I have in the scrappile a 50k "factory ford rebuild" that not only cavitated but also lost the oil cooler O-rings, and had a intake valve hang up every now and then. I've always been suspicious of stealership motors but the warranty package was good enough to stave off the naysayers. At least now I have a truck I can trust for cross country running.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread somewhere, where I cautioned you that trading your motor for one of "unknown integrity" might be risky. Appearantly I was more in tune with the force, then you were. ;p Sorry it was too good to be true.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang that does suck! Sorry to hear that Darrin, but you did get a good deal regardless...woulda been a better deal without the lie though! Guess ole John is not a friend of yours anymore! :backoff :draw

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Dang that does suck! Sorry to hear that Darrin, but you did get a good deal regardless...woulda been a better deal without the lie though! Guess ole John is not a friend of yours anymore! :backoff :draw

Thanks Guys, Live and learn, I brought the motor out to Ken's he took a look at it, and confirmed that it was not a recient rebuild. It is pretty clean, but does have some seepage, and he noted that none of the bolts have any re-torqe marks on them. So he will be swapping my tranny this week, and droping in the $500.00 motor in the 94 next week.

Anyone need a C6 Automatic out of a 2wd Diesel Van?