Tires...beating a dead horse again...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past Saturday I bought these:

You must be registered for see images

They're 315/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts. The pictures don't accurately convey how absolutely bad ass these tires look or how much tread they've got.
They look like road hummers, personally...I'd have to do a LOT of off-roading to justify that heavy, separated tread pattern ;Really

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Why do I do this to myself?

Ok I need tires, places around here are crazy outrageous. Found a place selling General Grabber A/T 2's in 285, about $800 shiped. Then I start hearing horror stories about Generals.

Okay so right now I have narrowed it down to:

Nitto Terra Grappler
Pro Comp xtreme A/T
Kelly Tires Safari TSR

Looking into a few others ATM as well. Trying to keep the price with shipping below $200 per tire.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;SweetJust bought some Korean tires, Nexon AT's, 10 ply, at $164.50 each out the door, balanced, bolt in stems and nitrogen. DEEP treads. smooth, quiet ride. $50.00 less each than my Wrangler AT's that were 4 ply. So far, I am very happy with them.;Sweet

On edit, these are standard size tires for this truck.

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fall into the "best tires I've ever ever had" with the Toyo MTR's as well. My last truck had the exact same tires BrandonMag just picked up. Really good wear for a MT tire, really quiet considering the tread. Used the truck to tow my 5er all over the place, and they worked awesome, even for a 34" tire on a tow rig. Put they're frickin' expensive.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've been reading some good reviews about them. Kelly is a daughter company of Goodyear. Same basic tire as a Goodyear duratrac, but about 25$ per tire cheaper

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I will let everyone know how they do.

Kelly was big up in the NW as Les Schwab carried them (Les Schwab is huge in the NW, a tire center in every town it seems). Hopefully they will do decent. If they can go 30K like my BFG's, I will be happy.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well crap, this tire company is sucking big time.

Tire-easy.com

Ordered my tires, entered my debit card info, all is well. I check my emails, and they say to continue this purchase, I would need to use paypal instead of the debit card. Okay, send the money. Then I get an email from BofA about suspiscious activity...I knew I had been charged with my debit card, along with sending money through paypal. So I called them up, they say the paypal went through, so tires should be shipping out tommorow, and that the charge on my debit card should go away within a day. I chose Tire-easy as it had a lot of good reviews per google. Oh well, we shall see.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been running the toyo open country AT's on my truck since i got it and i've put around 20,000 on a pair of them and they really haven't wore down much.. but i'm on the highway and on dirt roads.. they do good in snow and i've been in a plowed field after it rained and didn't have to kick in 4 wheel just mashed her to the floor.. mine are 285/75R16 and i think the last ones i got were around 180 each..

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say Cooper ST in 255/85R16. As suggested it keeps the tires in the fender (less rocks) and you keep a descent RPM range compared to the 235/85's.

My .02

Its what I WILL be getting for my next set.....unless I am super cheap again and just get retreads!!!

Thad

This.. taller and narrower.. basically a 33/9.50.

The local power company runs that size in varying flavors on all their .75 and 1.0 tons

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
30k on a set of bfg at's now I realized why everyone has told me to stay away from them. I have been running some off brand called remington mt from firestone since about feb 08 and I have put about 25k on them and they are about 1/4 to 1/3 tread, they have been horribly abused also(my driving is just now not starting to consist of not burning them down every time it rains, and they went through many wet pastures spinning like hell). They only ran me around 150 a tire out the door at firestone

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When my tires get here te BFG's will have about 35k on them. Two are ok still, one is wore down to the point of it being hard to see the tread design, and one is in between.

I'm defiantly going to do an alignment around Christmas time, passenger side wears the outside out.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
This.. taller and narrower.. basically a 33/9.50.

The local power company runs that size in varying flavors on all their .75 and 1.0 tons

I know thats why I want them and suggested them.....maybe when I get back from the desert.....

Thad

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Just a thought...My personal experience with the Nittos and Pro Comps. The Nittos ride like crap and get LOUD as they wear down. The Pro-comps absolutely refuse to wear correctly in any way shape or form...they seem to always get cupped/chopped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online