Tires...beating a dead horse again...

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the generals, let me know how you like them.

Only thing i dont like about the generals or most tires is they do not offer a 285 in load range E.

At the same time i would love a 315...but i feel like it would suck the power something fierce even with zf5 and 4.10's

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm thinking Cooper S/T's now. Like said the generals are on back order. S/T's have a nice tread and the come in cheaper than BFG's.

Middle October I will get tires. I'm paying out of picket (ie no loans) for college in installements so that leaves me little after I pay bills LOL

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
sport king may of already been mentioned but there great tires! women from church has them 40k miles still good tread! i was impressed.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
watch on 4 wheel parts warehouse. every now and then they have a deal on procomps . buy 3 get one free. i also sat the procomp at. 50000 warrnty. not to bad on price either. but they are a directional tire.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Cooper S/Ts also. Just got them in August so don't have any real long term results yet, but so far I love them. Quieter than I expected, and they actually ride better than the cheapo generic Trail King tires that were on it. The tread is more aggressive in real life than what you see on the computer.

12clip

Reaction score
I am going to be picking up a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs for my F-150. They are new and look pretty good for an AT. They also look like a good winter tire although that won't help you. They are one of the cheapest in the size I'm looking for also.

Last edited:

12clip

Reaction score
These.

Attachments

• 0909or_02_z+wrangler_duratrac_goodyear_tires+new_heavy_duty_tires.jpg
    0909or_02_z+wrangler_duratrac_goodyear_tires+new_heavy_duty_tires.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 12

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys running a D or E rated tire. It's always been my impression and practice that on a 1 ton truck that tows say 18.5k that a D tire just doesnt cut it long term for wear and longevity??

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The F250 is the first full size 4WD I've owned, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with light truck tires.

When I got my truck, it had a set of 235/85R16 Michelin LT XTC (I think). I ran those for a couple of thousand miles and they were awesome on the pavement but not so much off-road. They looked like a passenger tire but were E-rated. I then ran a set of 31X10.50R16.5 BFG A/Ts for a couple thousand miles and couldn't tell I'd even used them. Next up was a set of worn out Toyo Open Country M/Ts for a couple of thousand miles and got around fine. But, I don't really off road much, I probably spend 95% of my time on the highway. (Although hunting season is coming up and that will change.)

This past Saturday I bought these:

You must be registered for see images

They're 315/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts. The pictures don't accurately convey how absolutely bad ass these tires look or how much tread they've got.

The reasons I purchased these particular tires:

1. I've talked to about a half dozen guys that have had them and ALL said they were GREAT tires. One was a little miffed he only got 35K miles out of 'em, but the rest said they were the best tires they'd ever owned. Literally. If you talk to five people and they all tell you, "Best tires I've ever owned," you're gonna think, "I should buy these."

2. They're E-rated tires. I looked around a good bit and could not find an M/T that was more than a D-rated. I haul some heavy loads occasionally and wanted an E-rated tire.

3. The five guys that had no complaints about these tires all got around 50K miles out of them. With as little as I drive, I figure if I get around 40K out of them, I'll have them for four years.

The only downside is the price. I shelled out almost $1500 for these bad boys. :eek: Good thing is, I got them at Les Schwab's. They've got pretty good customer service and there's locations all over the place on the West Coast. Seeing as how I don't venture too far east, if something happens I'll probably be able to get into one fairly easily.

So far I've only got about 300 miles on them. By this time next year I'll be able to give you a long-term report. :D

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F250 is the first full size 4WD I've owned, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with light truck tires.

When I got my truck, it had a set of 235/85R16 Michelin LT XTC (I think). I ran those for a couple of thousand miles and they were awesome on the pavement but not so much off-road. They looked like a passenger tire but were E-rated. I then ran a set of 31X10.50R16.5 BFG A/Ts for a couple thousand miles and couldn't tell I'd even used them. Next up was a set of worn out Toyo Open Country M/Ts for a couple of thousand miles and got around fine. But, I don't really off road much, I probably spend 95% of my time on the highway. (Although hunting season is coming up and that will change.)

This past Saturday I bought these:

They're 315/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts. The pictures don't accurately convey how absolutely bad ass these tires look or how much tread they've got.

The reasons I purchased these particular tires:

1. I've talked to about a half dozen guys that have had them and ALL said they were GREAT tires. One was a little miffed he only got 35K miles out of 'em, but the rest said they were the best tires they'd ever owned. Literally. If you talk to five people and they all tell you, "Best tires I've ever owned," you're gonna think, "I should buy these."

2. They're E-rated tires. I looked around a good bit and could not find an M/T that was more than a D-rated. I haul some heavy loads occasionally and wanted an E-rated tire.

3. The five guys that had no complaints about these tires all got around 50K miles out of them. With as little as I drive, I figure if I get around 40K out of them, I'll have them for four years.

The only downside is the price. I shelled out almost $1500 for these bad boys. :eek: Good thing is, I got them at Les Schwab's. They've got pretty good customer service and there's locations all over the place on the West Coast. Seeing as how I don't venture too far east, if something happens I'll probably be able to get into one fairly easily.

So far I've only got about 300 miles on them. By this time next year I'll be able to give you a long-term report. :D

Thats why i keep thinking BFG A/t or a KM2, or Procomps

FordGuy100

Reaction score
D or E range. For the longest time I told myself I was only going to run E range tires.

But...I've found that some D range tires actually have a higher weight rating than some E rated tires. E range probably wont have as much sidewall flex, but still, they can hold more weight? (BFG 285 T/A E range are rated at 3305 pounds, and I was looking at a couple D range tires in the same size around 3600 pounds.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i am running definity dakota mt's on my dmax. cheep at 117 a tire for e rated(3416lbs at 80 lbs.) in 265/75r16

i love em in snow and mud. they do pic up rocks and hold on to them till u get to highway speeds. sorta sucks. they also have an at that looks like bfg at for alot less. also they are made by cooper just for pepboys. say made in usa on the sidewall.

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk of actual weight rating raised my curiosity, so I just took a look at the sidewall of one of the Toyos. It says 'Max load 3860 lbs. at 65 PSI (cold).'
Oh, yeah. They're made in the USA too.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooper S/Ts are E-rated tires, made in the USA, and I paid $175/tire for 235/85/16 or about $750 installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger