Timing help in Eugene Or

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm kinda hittin a rut on getting my truck timed. I can't afford to buy all the gear and i'm not sure anyone around here knows how to properly time my truck. I just got through puting a new IP and typ4 injectors in and would like to get it timed. So i guess i'm throwing it out there if there is anyone out there in the area or within a reasonable distance that could help a guy out to time his truck? I would be more than willing to travel to, and would be happy to compensate for your time (within reason). Thank you all for any help.

Austin

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Hi Austin, You might want to consider getting in touch with icanfixall, he rents the meters for $50.00 & shipping both ways as I recall. Its an easy procedure. He is West Coast also so shipping should not be too expensive.
John

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Literally right after i posted this thread my boss called me and told me one of our field mechanics has a stanadyne timing kit. I might see if i can sweet talk him into letting me borrow it.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
My 2 cents again, use a magnetic probe (pulse timing)(in the hole/tube just to the right of your timing mark) rather than a lumy light, its much more accurate, like a 10th of one degree, using luminisity(sp) can be off by 2-4 degrees(guesstament).

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents again, use a magnetic probe (pulse timing)(in the hole/tube just to the right of your timing mark) rather than a lumy light, its much more accurate, like a 10th of one degree, using luminisity(sp) can be off by 2-4 degrees(guesstament).

what timing meters did you use to see this kind of variance,and what made you think the pulse method wasn't the method that was off?
if anything,id guess just the opposite.however not this drastic (fuel type,cetain value depending of course.)

Rayzor

Reaction score
Hey I know that truck, I helped put the flat bed on it just before you bought it ;)

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding! Small world huh lol. I pretty much bought the truck for the flatbed LOL Where are you located at?
Also on another note, that field mechanic at work has a factory Stanadyne diesel timing kit for all stanadyne pumps. He says everything is there and he'd be willing to trade me for the fuel tank/ tool box combo off my truck. I dont know what the timing kit goes for new, but i paid 450 for the box combo. Is it a good deal? I'd really like to have my own timing set up.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can buy the Ferret for $189 and a good digital timing light (Craftsman)or Acutron for $100. I would have him demonstrate that Stanadyne before swapping. That $30 timing lite won't do it, these engines have to be timed at 2000 RPM, cheap ones will cause the flash to jump all over.

Craftsman good: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...=timing+lights&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1

Craftsman Best: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...=timing+lights&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=L2

Acutron @ Azone or most any auto store.

Attachments

• DVC01331.JPG
    DVC01331.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DVC01350.JPG
    DVC01350.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DVC01355.JPG
    DVC01355.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Rayzor

Reaction score
I would not trade the tank for the timing set. That tank cost almost 800 bucks about a year ago. I am up in sweet home, the guy you bought your truck from is a friend of mine. I helped him get the 5 speed in it to. Its a tough old truck. Also, I work down in coburg so if you get a timing set you can time my truck! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online