Time for an oil change

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand is mostly used or recommended by most?

CDR will need to be changed also as i'm not sure when or if this as ever been done.

Truck has got some serious blow by..

Anything I should be looking into to?

Thanks in advance.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read pretty much any 15w-40 will be fine. Which oil seems to be like asking what flavor ice cream is best. I looked into it and even the cheapy farm supply chain store type oils meet the spec for our engines.

Most around my area use Shell Rotella, from my research I would prefer to use the older spec Delo 400 (not the new low emissions stuff) the Delo had more of something, I can't remember if it was zinc or molybdenum.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read pretty much any 15w-40 will be fine. Which oil seems to be like asking what flavor ice cream is best. I looked into it and even the cheapy farm supply chain store type oils meet the spec for our engines.

Most around my area use Shell Rotella, from my research I would prefer to use the older spec Delo 400 (not the new low emissions stuff) the Delo had more of something, I can't remember if it was zinc or molybdenum.

I'm not fond of the Rotella. Lol I figured as much, I'm sure this question has been asked plenty. :dunno

What would the older delo be called exactly? I see the LE and LE/SDE online.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
15w-40 pick your poison of oil brand.
Run a power stoke filter gets u a qt more oil

I'm on tapatalk so can't see truck details in sig if there are any, but if turbo replace the rubber grommets as well as a new CDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Shell has a run thru issue with most idi engines from what I read in this forum. Personally I run Delo 15W40 Delo with the psd 1995 oil filter.The psd oil filter will clean the oil much better than the factory design filter of our engine because the psd MUST have cleaner oil for the injectors.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how does the powerstroke oil filter swap work just buy a filter for a 95 powerstroke and it goes right in the stock location? Any brand in specific to get or avoid?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how does the powerstroke oil filter swap work just buy a filter for a 95 powerstroke and it goes right in the stock location? Any brand in specific to get or avoid?
Yup, just ask for an oil filter for a 7.3 powerstroke. Extra quart of oil and a lower micron rating. The motorcraft filter is popular, fl-1995 I believe. I've always stuck with purolator ones and wix's. I avoid fram like the plague

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's local to you but I know Advance Auto and Walmart around here both carry the Motocraft FL-1995 powerstroke filter, and yes it screws directly in where the stock filter goes.

I think the older Delo is marked CJ-4. I know Ford has an issue with the new spec in the 6.7 powerstroke, I think the one to avoid is marked CK-4. I don't remember what the spec for our motors was but any 15-40 labeled CI-4 or CJ-4 will be fine. Look in the API starburst label on the bottle for those letters.

You must be registered for see images attach

The label on the left is what you're looking for.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tractor supply has 2.5 gallon jugs on sale for $22..its made by warren and is very simmiliar to delvac.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info everyone. I will be pouring Delo this time and go from there. Also going to purchase the powerstroke filter.

How many qts. do our trucks normally take? 11 qts. with new powerstroke filter I assume?

15w-40 pick your poison of oil brand.
Run a power stoke filter gets u a qt more oil

I'm on tapatalk so can't see truck details in sig if there are any, but if turbo replace the rubber grommets as well as a new CDR.

Truck has the 085 ATS.

Can you please specify what rubber grommets?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Im not familiar with that style, but on my 093 ATS, where the CDR is mounted on the valve cover it does into a rubber grommet, and it can get loose over time due to all the oil.

Contact @typ4 here on the forum, he can get you set up with the right ones.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right about the capacity. It's 10qts with the stock filter, if you use the powerstroke filter it's 11qts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online