Tilt wheel U joint

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tilt steering wheels in several 70-90 vehicles. Best I can determine, they are all the same on top.

The one in my 84 E350 has developed a sloppy U joint. The lower and upper shafts and joint are a single part. So far I have not found a replacement shaft. There are complete rebuilt units for $900. That is a lot when all I need is a U joint.

If anyone knows a source for a shaft, I will use that and be done. But, I am considering modfying the existing shaft and castings to accept a universal double D steering joint. Since I have several of these units, all of which are subject to wear, there is a large potential savings going forward.

Thoughts?

TY
Ray

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first indication I got was that the U joint was not serviceable. But it is. The bearings are hard steel balls in hard steel sockets.

I disassembled, cleaned, lubed, re-assembled, and adjusted. About twelve hours over three days.

The joint is a simple design. Access is interesting. The pic is the tools I used. I had to modify one box end wrench and make a puller.

Not shown is the cable driven hand piece I used to polish out whatever the brown coating in the sockets was.
You must be registered for see images attach