tilt wheel in my 89

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
my tilt wheel is loose as all get out in my truck, you can grab the steering wheel and the column moved up and down and side to side loosely but it is still locked in any help on fixing this ?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I had mine apart and tried a little this and that but I think the best bet is to just get a non tilt column from a junkyard.

Rayzor

Reaction score
mine is so bad that it turns my motor off if it flops to much. Every tilt i have seen so far in the yards is like that. Im looking for a not tilt myself

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford column rebuild should run roughly 50 bucks if you git it apart you see the little wimpy bearings and wonder how they held up as long as they did. had the same issue with mine even though its a different column

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason the bearing fails is using the steering wheel to pull yourself in. It's a pain to rebuild as the shaft get all wore and a bearing will not ride right any more if you try to put a new bearing in. When My old 87 went I just replaced it.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ odd never had an issue with mine after rebuild

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
indeed, thats them. pain in the A$$ little boogers to git to but itll save ya a lot of money if you can replace em yerself

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I had mine completely apart and those parts don't look like what the problem was. Mine just had bushings, and the aluminum around the bushings was egg shaped so new bushings wouldn't have helped.:dunno

In fact, they were more like a short metal pin, than a bushing.

Rayzor

Reaction score
Yea, that the problem with mine. Its the tilt joint not the bearings on the steer shaft. I wonder if the ford dealer has a fix.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Mine also had the pin loose that holds position in each cog.
The aluminum housing that holds it was broke on one side.
I JB welded it, but it will still jump teeth with a little bit of pull, on the steering wheel.
I'm racking my brain, cause it seems like I did something with the pins that helped some, but I can't remember what it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828