Ticking and Intermittent Valve Noises

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Well, oil and additives aside, do my symptoms sound like bad/sticky lifters, or worn/sticky valves/valve guides?

I'm trying to decide if I'm saving this patient or if I'm going to start the process of aquiring an IDIT. If I have to pull the heads off this tired Jasper reman N/A, it's probably not going to go well. The truck came to me advanced by ear (waaay too advanced) and the pump turned up 2 flats with no pyro.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me it sounds like any one of those conditions from your symptoms, if you wanna know what it is then you gotta pull the heads. Find out how much a head job would cost from a local trusted machine shop and compare that to what you can source a running idit for.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one were to try the atf in oil before changing it to attempt to clean motor in case something is sticking? My truck did sit for possibly 10 years before in owned it, under my valve covers didn't look very bad or sludgy. how many many miles should I go? And how much would I use? I'm due for a oil change in about 500 miles

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The comment that worries me is the fact he said it’s a bit black under the drivers side rocker cover and clean on the passenger side.

Black under the rocker cover sounds like baked oil from something, or soot from bad valve guides. Take a look at Al’s @riotwarrior post-mortem video......

I hope I’m wrong, but not clean worries me. Injectors sticking open wouldn’t blacken under the rocker cover......

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
To me it sounds like any one of those conditions from your symptoms, if you wanna know what it is then you gotta pull the heads. Find out how much a head job would cost from a local trusted machine shop and compare that to what you can source a running idit for.

About $200 more than buying an IDIT, and that's only assuming $50 for valve guide replacement.

If one were to try the atf in oil before changing it to attempt to clean motor in case something is sticking? My truck did sit for possibly 10 years before in owned it, under my valve covers didn't look very bad or sludgy. how many many miles should I go? And how much would I use? I'm due for a oil change in about 500 miles

Already done that. Have seafoam in the oil right now (while making these noises). Guess I'm just going to get lifters and pushrods and go for it. Probably shooting myself in the foot again, but at least those parts will be lightly used if I have to go another route.

So as for the pushrod question, what is the actual length of the pushrods and are they measured with, or without the ball tips?

@IDIoit Brian, you may know this one.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The comment that worries me is the fact he said it’s a bit black under the drivers side rocker cover and clean on the passenger side.

Black under the rocker cover sounds like baked oil from something, or soot from bad valve guides. Take a look at Al’s @riotwarrior post-mortem video......

I hope I’m wrong, but not clean worries me. Injectors sticking open wouldn’t blacken under the rocker cover......

That was my thought. But the seals themselves were clean, no broken springs, whacked the rockers with a brass hammer and all valves moved and returned freely. If course that's not going to show any valve wobble. That is also the side that the noise is coming from. After getting hit on that side is when the injectors stuck open and those 4 injector bores were caked with solid carbon when I replaced injectors.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Just ordered a compression tester kit via ebay. Planning on pulling valve cover again (passenger side SUCKS!) When it gets here and doing some testing.

Depending on results, do you guys think I could, or have any experience with pressurizing the cylinders one at a time with the rockers off and removing the valve keepers/retainer/spring? If this can be done, then I could check for valve play and maybe throw in some Comp 910's while I'm in there as well as replacing stem seals. I just really don't have the cash to pull heads and rebuild the top end. I mean, it would be cheaper to get another engine, but even then, whatever I get may have is own pricey problems.

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would NOT remove the keepers while the head is on the engine. You could drop the valve while removing the keepers and then you will be screwed. :)

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That would be the reason for pressurizing the cylinders with the rockers off. Common practice with gassers, just not sure if I have the ability to build and hold enough pressure in the cylinders to do that.